Media Websites

The decline of BBC News online

(November 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
PE
Pete Founding member
Snapchat is one of those apps where I'm completely baffled. I understand Instagram and the stories feature although I don't use the latter, yet Snapchat really does seem to be one of those generational shifts that I'll never get.

So you don't understand snapchat but you understand Instagram's carbon copy rip off of snapchat?
MD
Mr D'Arcy
I find the dumbed-down Newsbeat pages the most annoying. There's a story on there currently about Justin Bieber getting a designer cat! Sigh!
NT
Night Thoughts
I find the dumbed-down Newsbeat pages the most annoying. There's a story on there currently about Justin Bieber getting a designer cat! Sigh!

would you have thought it was dumbed-down if you heard it on Radio 1?
BA
bilky asko
On the BBC News front page, two of the stories currently on offer

A story that you’d usually find in a local rag

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-49941400

In the light of the Pret a Manger case, highlighting the failing of another prominent food business on allergies seems newsworthy.
NG
noggin Founding member
On the BBC News front page, two of the stories currently on offer

A story that you’d usually find in a local rag

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-49941400

Given the recent allergies cases that have caused changes to major food chains' policies, it strikes me that is a very valid news story, with wider interest than just East Kent. It was published on a BBC local news page, and I guess it was picked up by the national front page because it was of wider interest....
MD
Mr D'Arcy

I've not listened to Radio 1 for many a year!
JO
Joe

I've not listened to Radio 1 for many a year!

Then why would you necessarily find Radio 1 Newsbeat output relevant?
LL
London Lite Founding member
And these issues will continue to happen while Newsbeat copy continues to be shoehorned into the main news site.

Incidentally if you read this weeks Private Eye, it's claimed that young people aren't visiting the BBC News site in their droves, instead preferring social media apps, which the BBC are concerned about.
Night Thoughts, Jeffmister and james-2001 gave kudos
NT
Night Thoughts
And these issues will continue to happen while Newsbeat copy continues to be shoehorned into the main news site.

Incidentally if you read this weeks Private Eye, it's claimed that young people aren't visiting the BBC News site in their droves, instead preferring social media apps, which the BBC are concerned about.

And some stories can be done in two ways as well. It cropped up yesterday with the Coleen Rooney/ Rebekah Vardy spat - on one side, a gossip goldmine featuring personalities a chunk of the audience will be very familiar with; on the other, a tale of media ethics involving people much of the audience may only be vaguely familiar with at best.

Whereas I think in the past, the BBC might have taken the latter approach, this was given a Newsbeat treatment instead, which just gives critics more ammunition. The leap in tone is too much, along with the inconsistency of treatment.
CA
Cando

I'd take most media reports from Private Eye with a grain of salt. A lot of it is second hand titte tattle and unsourced. Was there a source?
Ofcom said earlier this year the exact opposite. BBC dominated on all in the UK far more than they do on tv. Snapchat was their weakest but they were still a mile ahead.
Last edited by Cando on 10 October 2019 7:36pm
CA
Cando
A BBC rising star says

JO
Josh
Who on earth refers to the BBC News Twitter feed as BBC News (UK)?

Newer posts