TV Home Forum

Sky News Mini re-launch

(August 2003)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
FA
fanoftv
chiguy33 posted:
The problem with the new SkyNews theme is that it doesnt have a recognizable or a standour signature. Most news music producers know that brand recognition goes hand in hand with a signature that most people can easily hum. The previous them had the "DAAAA DA DA DA DAAA..sorta singature. This new one lacks that completely. SkyNews has built a brand on easy recognition of their product. (News wall...the "Breaking News" swoosh, among other things.) This theme, after listening a few times is a real let down. I reallly think they should have re-worked and re-freshed the previous one. I think they need to pump it up a bit more. A bit more bass to the bed, sounds like some one is tapping on a sheet of paper.

Are you listening to the same stuff? the new one has a humable theme tune, as i just have! The backing bed works well as it is, with the upbeat rhythm, if a higher bass is added it may sound like a rave track!
:-(
A former member
fanoftv posted:

Are you listening to the same stuff? the new one has a humable theme tune, as i just have! The backing bed works well as it is, with the upbeat rhythm, if a higher bass is added it may sound like a rave track!

Actually I am "listening to the same stuff". That is MY OPINION of the track. I'm not a fan of it. Whilst it is just OK, think it could be better. Who said anything about making it into a rave track? In MY OPINION, i think it could be a bit deeper.
BC
Blake Connolly Founding member
The new music does have a signature... umm, "daa duh daa daaa da da da" , which appears more than the fanfare from the old music, as if you listen closely it appears in the bed as well.

I'm guess it's not too bad under the circumstances we now know. They had to replace the music and of course seeing it with the familar titles makes it somehow harder to get used to than a whole fresh look. I do like the bit where the drums kick in at the TOTH.

I wonder what previous theme the old music was supposed to be like. Most of them (perhaps with the exeption of the music used with the "egg look") have had a few similarities.
LM
Lee M
I did like what they did at 6pm today, it suited the new music much more. After the headlines, the end title sequence bumper was played for the first few seconds full frame, then they cut to a wide shot of the studio with the remainder of the bumper playing out on the newswall while the announcement was played, quite effective I thought.
MD
mdtauk
listen to the News Active version as it has a stronger melody.

Duh... duh.. duh duh - duh duh duh...

a 7 note theme - as in this shortened clip...

MP3 Clip Edited to make the signature notes stand out more
Last edited by mdtauk on 23 September 2003 7:29pm
A former member
i quite like the new music, especially the backing track.
MD
mdtauk
Blake Connolly posted:
The new music does have a signature... umm, "daa duh daa daaa da da da" , which appears more than the fanfare from the old music, as if you listen closely it appears in the bed as well.

I'm guess it's not too bad under the circumstances we now know. They had to replace the music and of course seeing it with the familar titles makes it somehow harder to get used to than a whole fresh look. I do like the bit where the drums kick in at the TOTH.

I wonder what previous theme the old music was supposed to be like. Most of them (perhaps with the exeption of the music used with the "egg look") have had a few similarities.

I'd say Vote 2001's music, because it uses the same fanfare notes
LM
Lee M
Additionally, their seem to be more beds this time, one's used for The Business market board, another is sometimes used for the Hutton round-up graphics, and that's in addtion to the TOTH headlines, other used for every 15 min headline updates and coming up, and the sport one.

Perhaps this was to do with the theme changing during the day, i.e. a lighter version at Sunrise etc. as it was said on here might happen, but they've decided not to do something like this.
A former member
Blake Connolly posted:

I didnt say it didnt have a signature. I said it didnt have a STRONG signature...say like the famous 3 chimes of NBC or the CNN...DA DA DA...i guess i'll have to let the new theme grow on me. I still think they could done better. I do like the bed though.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
I think the bed used at the 15min junctions ("Top stories now on Sky News" etc) didn't work at all yesterday during 1pm-5pm as it was playing far too loud (either that or Kay Burley was whispering). Today it was quieter and worked better (or Kay talked up).

The backing bed used at the top of the hour while they go through the headlines coming up is quite good although I personally don't like the music before that, it just sounds, like, off-key.
MD
mdtauk
There are two things I would change, the swirly music at the start of the ident where it says Live News - and the abrupt end after the headlines...
A former member
Sky News needs to update their set. I think they should follow the lead of the Westminster set/newsroom. Many have complained that the swoosh and red "Breaking News" aston is annoying. But everyone must admit that when you hear the whoosh and the screen turns red it makes you notice does it not?

Newer posts