TV Home Forum

Will Disney close all the UK linear kids channels?

Mirroring other international channels (October 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CC
ccskycomedy
In the last few months Disney/Fox have or are about to close the international linear channels because of the launch of Disney+ and Fox takeover, these include the entire group Australian kids channels. Does their linear kids channels in UK including a Sky branded Disney movie channel have the future? If Disney were to strike a new deal with Sky that includes Disney+, would Sky offer the sweetener of having a trimmed linear kids channel line up of Disney Channel and Disney Junior.
JA
james-2001
Hi, Paul.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
In the last few months Disney/Fox have or are about to close the international linear channels because of the launch of Disney+ and Fox takeover, these include the entire group Australian kids channels. Does their linear kids channels in UK including a Sky branded Disney movie channel have the future? If Disney were to strike a new deal with Sky that includes Disney+, would Sky offer the sweetener of having a trimmed linear kids channel line up of Disney Channel and Disney Junior.

Paul, If you did a spot of research before posting your fabricated drivel you'd know the answer to your question already.
CC
ccskycomedy

Paul, If you did a spot of research before posting your fabricated drivel you'd know the answer to your question already.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/tvblackbox.com.au/page/2019/10/5/exclusive-foxtel-prepared-for-life-without-disney-channels%3fformat=amp
JA
james-2001

This is Paul Akinbola you're talking about, he's been at this for over 15 years.
DB
dbl
I know Disney UK is having a hard time, but that is pure madness.
KU
Kunst
Is the source for the Australian closure of the Disney channels "safe"?

But Disney are closing down some operations for Disney+ even inside in all of Europe now

Recently, Disney operations in the Netherlands have been reduced to just a Disney Channel and a part time Disney XD,, there Disney XD 24 hours has been closed downl, as well (including in Belgium), and very recently Disney XD Italy, Disney XD Germany on Sky, and Disney Cinemagic have been closed

Some cuts are due soon in the UK as well, I can't see Sky Movies Disney surviving at all, and we might see at least Disney XD closing down

"Cuts" include a unified EMEA schedule (for the most part) of Disney XD and Disney Junior, with small exceptions
ZE
zeebre12
Also closing in New Zealand https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=12273852
DB
dbl
Yikes. I can't say I'm surprised - there's been ripples of restructure based on the performances on linear.
JF
JetixFann450
I can imagine Disney doing something with Sky Q and Disney+, but I don't know really. Maybe even just a separate "Ultimate On Demand" package which includes Disney+ and it's other linear channels.
GB
Gary Baldy
The Channel will not close down, I imagine it’s still too popular, and still makes a fair bit of cash.

I’d hope not to see Disney Channel close down, I’ve worked on both the UK and the US versions of the channel- it’s a great job.

Then again, I haven’t worked there for 8 years, retired due to a creative disagreement.

The people who worked on the US version were cash cows, greedy for money, whilst the Uk employees seemed to genuinely care about their audience, so I’d hope it’s still that way.
JA
JAS84
Kunst posted:
Is the source for the Australian closure of the Disney channels "safe"?

But Disney are closing down some operations for Disney+ even inside in all of Europe now

Recently, Disney operations in the Netherlands have been reduced to just a Disney Channel and a part time Disney XD,, there Disney XD 24 hours has been closed downl, as well (including in Belgium), and very recently Disney XD Italy, Disney XD Germany on Sky, and Disney Cinemagic have been closed

Some cuts are due soon in the UK as well, I can't see Sky Movies Disney surviving at all, and we might see at least Disney XD closing down

"Cuts" include a unified EMEA schedule (for the most part) of Disney XD and Disney Junior, with small exceptions

In India, they actually renamed Disney XD as Marvel HQ in January this year. Combined with those channel closures, it sounds like the Disney XD name is being phased out.

EMEA?

Newer posts