TV Home Forum

A question about Granada before 1968

London and Leeds? (October 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
:-(
A former member
Si-Co posted:

May also be that now the franchise renewal was done and Phil Redmond's company had lost, they felt safe to cut back as they didn't have to look good with Liverpool coverage to the ITC any more.

There was a clip on TV Ark many moons ago which would suggest that Granada Tonight was brought back to Manchester in autumn 1992, but the programme didn’t get the (awful) purple map titles until autumn 1993. I’m fairly certain as pointed out all of the shorter bulletins were swapped to Liverpool by this point. I believe the GMTV bulletins were also broadcast from Liverpool from day one.

That sounds correct. The short bulletins were definitely presented from the Albert Dock during 1992-1993, and when I visited the Granada Studio tour in June 1993 they showed us the Granada Tonight studio and told us it was the real thing. The reason there was no activity going on in there would be because it was only used in the evenings.

Do you know when the 1992 rebrand took place?
FB
Fluffy Bunny Feet
SC
Si-Co

Helpful!
SP
Spencer
Was at the Albert Dock earlier this year, very little trace of This Morning left now, but the pillars outside what used to be the studio are still a different colour and texture to the rest of the dock. Stayed in the Premier Inn there, it's quite fascinating, the way they've built it into the dock, still with the original walls, arches and roofs, makes it feel very different to a typical hotel.

There's a fairly large part of what we know as the Albert Dock that was built when it was redeveloped in the 80s rather than being original buildings. The Granada TV News building for one.

Granada was in the old Dock Traffic Office, definitely one of the old buildings. There’s a photo of it pre-redevelopment here: https://albertdock.com/history (first B&W photo)
NL
Ne1L C
Looks like they gave Liverpool little more than short shrift!
NW
nwtv2003
Looks like they gave Liverpool little more than short shrift!

With the greatest of respect to Liverpool, it was nothing more than a box ticking exercise for Granada. Whilst the commitment was there during the This Morning years, it died off after they relocated to London.
BR
Brekkie
I guess in reality most regions had a second city which could be seen as a poor relation. Some may have benefitted from sub-regions, but the likes of Sheffield, Sunderland and Leicester also probably been short changed.
SW
Steve Williams
I guess in reality most regions had a second city which could be seen as a poor relation. Some may have benefitted from sub-regions, but the likes of Sheffield, Sunderland and Leicester also probably been short changed.

Well, indeed - Sheffield have always argued that telly in Yorkshire is dominated by Leeds, ditto Scotland is dominated by Glasgow. Unfortunately for Granada it's not like they could have done opt-outs because Manchester and Liverpool have the same transmitter. Although they probably didn't help themselves with Tony Wilson doing his best to wind up Scousers.
NL
Ne1L C
There was a brief period where Sheffield did have a sub regional news in the 1980's
MA
Markymark

As with the Granada region, it was often transmitter siting that prevented sub regions, or in some cases transmitters that ended up serving no man's land. Oxford being a prime example
RO
robertclark125
Up until border TV started, did Granada cover much of Cumbria?
NL
Ne1L C
It could have been done:
https://www.transdiffusion.org/2001/08/01/affiliations

Newer posts