TV Home Forum

The five main PSBs switching to 14:9

When did this happen...? (September 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NG
noggin Founding member
Cool that Clunes has an input about that.

Also surely sets are more complex now and have more... electronics and gizmos.

The mid-90s 'Virtual' BBC News cut glass look had quite a lot of electronics and gizmos.
SI
simpfeld

He and his wife own the production company that make the programme, they are in charge of it

Interesting that ITV consider 16mm an HD capable format when BBC technical guidelines specifically ban it for HD.

I don't watch this, does it being sourced from 16mm show at all? Even if not distracting.
EL
elmarko

He and his wife own the production company that make the programme, they are in charge of it

That.. that would explain it Zipper
VM
VMPhil

Interesting that ITV consider 16mm an HD capable format when BBC technical guidelines specifically ban it for HD.

I don't watch this, does it being sourced from 16mm show at all? Even if not distracting.

The picture quality is fine but not as sharp as something sourced from digital. However, from a normal viewing distance, I couldn’t discern any noticeable film grain at all, which makes me wonder if there was some noise reduction applied (making the picture softer than it would be). Despite this, you can definitely tell it has a unique look compared to other modern dramas.
WO
Worzel
You could tell when the "virtual" era had moved to N6 because it didn't quite 'look' the same on screen. Not the "virtual" elements, but any wide shots that included the desk definitely looked different. Was the desk smaller in N6?

Yes - the desk and overall set were both smaller in N6 ISTR.

As shown here with the sadly now late Pete Sissons.

The opening shot with the coat of arms is at a different angle, the desk is smaller and the presenter is framed closer to the camera.

IT
itsrobert Founding member
You could tell when the "virtual" era had moved to N6 because it didn't quite 'look' the same on screen. Not the "virtual" elements, but any wide shots that included the desk definitely looked different. Was the desk smaller in N6?

The opening shot with the coat of arms is at a different angle, the desk is smaller and the presenter is framed closer to the camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-6IZRdarTY

That's not N6 - they would still have been in N2 in March 1997. The move to N6 would have happened some time in later 1998.
JA
james-2001

N6 surely wouldn't have opened in March 97? Stage 6 was still under construction at that point!
WO
Worzel

N6 surely wouldn't have opened in March 97? Stage 6 was still under construction at that point!

Sorry, I posted the wrong link. I meant this one.

Last edited by Worzel on 3 October 2019 11:14am
JA
james-2001

Plenty of remasters of BBC 16mm material in HD though, including the 90s Pride & Prejudice, some of the Doctor Who blu-rays and the upcoming Fawlty Towers one (where the film inserts still exist of course).

The upcoming Monty Python blu-ray too, though that's not a BBC project as far as I'm aware.
BA
bilky asko

Sorry, I posted the wrong link. I meant this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cK3v5Z6kGhI

That was the standard opening for the 6 O'Clock News - it always differed to the 9 O'Clock News.

Newer posts