The Newsroom

Peter Sissons has died.

(October 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JV
James Vertigan Founding member
Has it had a mention on the 1? Haven’t been able to watch the full programme as on a train down to Cardiff at the mo.
JA
james-2001
Yes it was. Even the burgundy tie got mentioned.
RO
rob Founding member
Has it had a mention on the 1? Haven’t been able to watch the full programme as on a train down to Cardiff at the mo.

It was mentioned, with Lizo joining Reeta in the studio.
VM
VMPhil
How appropriate that I should hear this news breaking whilst watching the BBC News channel. Though he didn't adapt to rolling news quite so well, he was always an authoritative presence when reading the news.

One of his best moments was when he delivered a tribute to Jill Dando at the end of the Nine O'Clock News on the day of her murder.

NL
Ne1L C
Shocked. A consummate professional to his core. It was people like him and Alastair Burnet that inspired me to go into journalism. RIP Crying or Very sad
Last edited by Ne1L C on 2 October 2019 1:47pm
Owen_ploc and BFGArmy gave kudos
JI
Jimmyson
His voice defined authority and respect. It always grabs my attention.
Thank you for your years of service Peter, telling the world as it was!
RE
Revolution
I was googling the 9 O'Clock News yesterday and strangely enough I was drawn by an image of him in the 90s set.

And then I saw the same image on the BBC homepage today. He was a fantastic broadcaster.
BB
BBI45
It is quite rare for news to shock me. Especially these days. However, this news has left me stunned. Even as somebody who is too young to have seen him on air before his retirement, I was always aware in videos of broadcasts past, of how much of a professional he was. I'm sure he will be greatly missed.

Rest In Peace.
MW
Mike W
This is sad news, and I can only echo others' comments rather than add anything useful.

On a presentation related note, can someone date/explain this strange OTS graphic used on the Telegraph's obit article?
:-(
A former member
The member requested removal of this post
Last edited by A former member on 2 October 2019 2:45pm
London Lite, JamesWorldNews and BFGArmy gave kudos
JW
JamesW
Very sad news. I was of a slightly later era and the stern six of Sissons + Ford or Moira was the best ! Good comprehensive concise well presented news compared with the ramblings of today.
OM
Omnipresent

Last edited by Omnipresent on 2 October 2019 3:50pm

Newer posts