The Newsroom

CNN International & Domestic

(January 2006)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BF
BFGArmy
I don’t think people are arguing it shouldn’t be covered on CNNI but you should only really be simulcasting the two channels on non-scheduled times if it’s major news that warrants it.
Last night wasn’t that - CNNI could easily have handled that news. I do wonder if the simulcast was maybe only in some regions - the YWT instagram showed Cyril and Isa in the studio so perhaps they were presenting to Asia rather than just sat twiddling their thumbs.
CI
cityprod
I don’t think people are arguing it shouldn’t be covered on CNNI but you should only really be simulcasting the two channels on non-scheduled times if it’s major news that warrants it.
Last night wasn’t that - CNNI could easily have handled that news. I do wonder if the simulcast was maybe only in some regions - the YWT instagram showed Cyril and Isa in the studio so perhaps they were presenting to Asia rather than just sat twiddling their thumbs.

The possible impeachment of the US President is not major news? I would say that it's the biggest story right now, even bigger than Brexit. What makes it more interesting is that Donald Trump is practically falling apart on Twitter on a hourly basis. In his ranty madness he could end up incriminating a lot of people in this, maybe even Vladimir Putin. Russia are already worried enough that they have publically warned Trump about not taking down Putin with him. That's unprecedented. The possibility of two governments in two countries, being taken down, essentially by one man self-destructing on Twitter, would justify it to me. Right now, this is just starting to get really interesting.
BF
BFGArmy

The possible impeachment of the US President is not major news? I would say that it's the biggest story right now, even bigger than Brexit. What makes it more interesting is that Donald Trump is practically falling apart on Twitter on a hourly basis. In his ranty madness he could end up incriminating a lot of people in this, maybe even Vladimir Putin. Russia are already worried enough that they have publically warned Trump about not taking down Putin with him. That's unprecedented. The possibility of two governments in two countries, being taken down, essentially by one man self-destructing on Twitter, would justify it to me. Right now, this is just starting to get really interesting.

Of course impeachment if it was to happen or progress is massive news. But last night's news I doubt many will remember a week from now - in which case is it really worth not showing CNNI's usual programming? And if CNN wanted ample coverage of the story from a Domestic perspective they already have 3 hours each night anyway (1-4am BST) and could've dumped the Amanpour repeat no problem.

If last night's specifc news were really big news, I'd imagine CNN Domestic would do what they often do and have dumped the on-duty presenter for rolling coverage from one of their stars like Cuomo, Tapper or Anderson Cooper whereas for the rolling simulcast they instead had fill-in anchors like Poppy Harlow and Brianna Keilar (both strong presenters I may add) covering Erin Burnett and Wolf.

And if we're saying anything impeachment related needs a Domestic simulcast then basically apart from the Rosemary Church overnight fare (which Domestic simulcasts) & Amanpour CNNI may as well just shut down because they won't be needed.
CI
cityprod

Of course impeachment if it was to happen or progress is massive news. But last night's news I doubt many will remember a week from now - in which case is it really worth not showing CNNI's usual programming? And if CNN wanted ample coverage of the story from a Domestic perspective they already have 3 hours each night anyway (1-4am BST) and could've dumped the Amanpour repeat no problem.

If last night's specifc news were really big news, I'd imagine CNN Domestic would do what they often do and have dumped the on-duty presenter for rolling coverage from one of their stars like Cuomo, Tapper or Anderson Cooper whereas for the rolling simulcast they instead had fill-in anchors like Poppy Harlow and Brianna Keilar (both strong presenters I may add) covering Erin Burnett and Wolf.

And if we're saying anything impeachment related needs a Domestic simulcast then basically apart from the Rosemary Church overnight fare (which Domestic simulcasts) & Amanpour CNNI may as well just shut down because they won't be needed.

I think at this point, you could probably do seperate feeds for Europe & Asia giving them their breakfast and primetime content, and just run CNN simulcasts outside those times right now. Hala Gorani Tonight is currently airing as I type this, so that may well be what they're doing.
NZ
nznewser

I can assure you, those of us in the Asia/Australasia area got the US simulcast as well! Having said that, the Australian connection to Trump was probably most relevant to our region yesterday. But I agree, CNN Intl could have covered it just as well.
BF
BFGArmy
Stop the press - Your World Today is actually on air tonight. It's been off air so long that at first the ticker seemed to think it was CNN Today that was airing and Cyril seemed to think they were in Hong Kong. Laughing
GI
ginnyfan
Also, no mention of Trump for the first 15 minutes. Instead interviews with reporters in HK and Beijing, guests analysts and in-depth coverage of Hong Kong protests.
BF
BFGArmy
Have to say Your World Today is an absolute relevation. CNN Today/Michael & Amara were a tough act to follow but YWT/Cyril & Isa have done a great job thus far.The show feels a substantive watch, looks incredible and Cyril & Isa already work very well as an on-screen pairing - both come across as knowing their stuff, aren't afraid to (politely) challenge the other but also you get to see their lighter side a bit more too. I'd never previously been as big a fan of double-headed news programmes as many but YWT is convincing me.

It's a shame though that CNN Today had to make way for it. It does seem ever so slightly odd that the European morning programming is broadcast overnight from Atlanta and London broadcasts late at night its time for the Asia breakfast programming. Would make more sense surely to swap the two around. I'm sure CNNI have their reasons though.
Last edited by BFGArmy on 8 October 2019 12:01am
NZ
nznewser
Good to see Will Ripley and the HK team filling for Newsroom today, makes sense for a afternoon news block for this part of the world. Good that they haven't completely abandoned the HK studio.
JW
JamesWorldNews
Good to see Will Ripley and the HK team filling for Newsroom today, makes sense for a afternoon news block for this part of the world. Good that they haven't completely abandoned the HK studio.

I always thought he was quite talented......... 😜
GI
ginnyfan
Friday editions of CNN Newsroom that air in the CTW slots (16.00 & 17.00 cet) are presented by Linda Kinkade ( her name is in the title card as well) which makes sense since she does the same shift on weekends. Linda is a great example of CNNI's home grown talent. She was hired with very little experience really and needed some time to settle in but has now become a real pro and a reliable anchor that can deal with any topic.

Michael Holmes filled in for Hala last night and I've seen him doing Robyn Curnow's slots past weekend so it seems like he'll be all over the schedule when needed.

No sign of Amara Walker though, ever since that Monday before YWT debut when she did Newsroom in that slot. I wonder if she's even with CNNI anymore. Her social media accounts are silent and not updated.
BF
BFGArmy
Echo those thoughts about Lynda - she’s a very solid hand and it’s good to see her get an extra slot. One of CNN’s underrated gems and it’s a shame they didn’t have her on more often on CNN Today whenever Michael or Amara were off.

Newer posts