TV Home Forum

BBC to switch off red button text

Service to end in early 2020 (September 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BA
bilky asko
As some have said, many people still have CRTs in bedrooms & kitchens, and won't want the hassle of having to buy and plug in a DVB-T2 STB
'.

I can't think of any CRT TVs that had digital tuners built in, so by definition any in use are already being fed by DVB-T1 boxes, so it's a case of a box swap

There were a few about - there was a Samsung Slim Fit model with Freeview built in that was sold on Amazon for £199.99 in 2007; there are still threads online about the low price.
NG
noggin Founding member
As some have said, many people still have CRTs in bedrooms & kitchens, and won't want the hassle of having to buy and plug in a DVB-T2 STB
'.

I can't think of any CRT TVs that had digital tuners built in, so by definition any in use are already being fed by DVB-T1 boxes, so it's a case of a box swap

There were OnDigital CRT IDTVs marketed by Philips - but I think they will have been rendered obsolete by the 2k->8K change, if not the earlier change that also rendered first gen OnDigital boxes unusable? (I have a feeling Bush may have marketed some too)
London Lite and Markymark gave kudos
MA
Markymark
'.

There were OnDigital CRT IDTVs marketed by Philips - but I think they will have been rendered obsolete by the 2k->8K change, if not the earlier change that also rendered first gen OnDigital boxes unusable? (I have a feeling Bush may have marketed some too)

I vaguely remember that set now ! And also an HD CRT, with a very shallow tube (that would have consequently had very sharp deflection angles, and therefore challenging geometry and convergence !)

Don't dis on the OnDigital boxes, it was only the change to 8k that killed them, they had no problems coping with the Split NIT, that killed many early Freeview boxes (and Sony TVs).

My 1998 Pace box worked perfectly right up to my local DSO in 2012
NG
noggin Founding member

I vaguely remember that set now ! And also an HD CRT, with a very shallow tube (that would have consequently had very sharp deflection angles, and therefore challenging geometry and convergence !)

Yep - was that the Samsung HD CRT? I think it was the only HD Ready CRT sold in the UK (It <just> managed to meet the specs ISTR) Everyone hoped it would be great. Sadly it wasn't... If only Sony had sold their DRC1250 sets with a 1080i HDMI input in the UK...

Quote:

Don't dis on the OnDigital boxes, it was only the change to 8k that killed them, they had no problems coping with the Split NIT, that killed many early Freeview boxes (and Sony TVs).

Ah - I thought it was the split NIT that did for them before the 2k/8k changes. I think that killed the Pace DTVA (though that ran so hot I think it was probably for the best it became obsolete. It melted the case of my Sony 28" WEGA SD 16:9 CRT...)
TE
Technologist

However converting all the commercial multiplexes to use DVB-T2 would make sense, and still give people with older TVs access to the basic Freeview service of PSB (SD) channels.

The best answer is the Vaizey plan from 2011/12
Which was "at band clearance to mandate the PSB to emit HD only ...."
that would be a single change over until the despite if DVB based DTT,
Save the broadcasters a lot if money ...
And STB for ALL those who need it ( NOT on hardship grounds) is easily funded by either the money taken back from the Help scheme after DSO ....
Or the pump priming that the government has allocated from project profit from sale if 700 MHZ band,
There are issues with over capicity of DTT bit rate .. and the wisdom of having a single (BBC operted) regionalised mux
MA
Markymark

Ah - I thought it was the split NIT that did for them before the 2k/8k changes. I think that killed the Pace DTVA (though that ran so hot I think it was probably for the best it became obsolete. It melted the case of my Sony 28" WEGA SD 16:9 CRT...)

Ha, yes, it wasn't Pace's best effort, in fact what ever happened to Pace ?

OnDigital had well documented problems, but their boxes complied fully with the DVB-T spec, something, 20 years later you can't 100% rely on today when buying a receiver. The only omission, which they fixed
with an over the air upgrade was AFD support (I remember postage stamp images on the BBC when they rolled out AFD signalling as part of regional opting on BBC 1) Only lasted a week or two before OnD pushed out f/w upgrades)
VM
VMPhil
Anyone remember the Daewoo Setpal? That was made obsolete with the 2k/8k changeover.

JA
JAS84

Merged with ARRIS in 2016, which was then taken over by CommScope in April this year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pace_plc
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arris_International
GE
thegeek Founding member
Anyone remember the Daewoo Setpal? That was made obsolete with the 2k/8k changeover.

There was one early DTT box which was cheap in Asda and had a big uptake in parts of Wales where people were keen to see proper Channel 4 rather than S4C - which then didn't support the split NIT, so meant there were a lot more unhappy viewers than the rest of the country. I thought that was the Setpal, but my memory's not quite that good!

JAS84 posted:

Merged with ARRIS in 2016, which was then taken over by CommScope in April this year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pace_plc
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arris_International

Not to be confused with the modem manufacturer who went bust not long after introducing a pretty decent range of 56k modems. I probably used one to access this very site... Smile

[edit] Pace Micro Communications appears to have been a spin-off from Pace Micro Technology (the STB manufacturers) but only lasted as a standalone company for about 4 years before going into receivership.
Last edited by thegeek on 1 October 2019 6:35pm
DV
dvboy

Yep my first box
AN
Andrew Founding member
'.

DV
dvboy
My parents had a Sony widescreen CRT with DVB-T built in. I think they bought it around 2002.

Newer posts