The Newsroom

Naga Munchetty | BBC DG Overturns Ruling

BBC Backs Down (September 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NG
noggin Founding member
Retreading old ground but the China editor role is simply not on a par with the Washington role, whoever is in that position.

Yes - agreed. The pool of fluent Mandarin speaking Editors is far smaller than those that speak English, so presumably should command a premium.
JO
Jon
Retreading old ground but the China editor role is simply not on a par with the Washington role, whoever is in that position.

Yes - agreed. The pool of fluent Mandarin speaking Editors is far smaller than those that speak English, so presumably should command a premium.

That’s a false equivalence though.
CA
Cando

Yes - agreed. The pool of fluent Mandarin speaking Editors is far smaller than those that speak English,.

This is a huge insult to the 100s of Western journalists in China, the vast majority who are fluent. Pretending there are very few is nonsense.

Maybe the "pool" is just small within the BBC
WH
what
what posted:
I still think Carrie Gracie is annoying as all hell.

Based on...?

Every time I’ve seen her on the News Channel, she seems to me a bit like a rabbit in headlights.
NG
noggin Founding member
Cando posted:

Yes - agreed. The pool of fluent Mandarin speaking Editors is far smaller than those that speak English,.

This is a huge insult to the 100s of Western journalists in China, the vast majority who are fluent. Pretending there are very few is nonsense.

Maybe the "pool" is just small within the BBC

Are you saying the pool of English speaking journalists who speak Mandarin fluently isn't far smaller than the pool of English speaking journalists who don't speak Mandarin? I didn't say very few - I said the pool was far smaller than those who speak English (and don't speak Mandarin)

That was my point - North America Editors for UK news organisations need no additional language skills, ideally China Editors for UK news organisations speak Mandarin.

My point wasn't to say that there weren't any other suitable candidates other than Carrie - it was to point out that it was an additional skill required (ideally) for the post, which could (should?) command a premium if anything.
WL
W1LL

You're being a bit flippant there. The role of North America Editor is quite clearly higher profile than that of the China Editor, given the volume of stories generated and their significance to the UK. This should obviously warrant a higher salary.
NE
Newsroom
what posted:
what posted:

inal
Based on...?

Every time I’ve seen her on the News Channel, she seems to me a bit like a rabbit in headlights.

As you have fault to address my response to your original meaningless post...
what posted:
what posted:

Based on...?

NE
Newsroom
what posted:
what posted:

inal
Based on...?

As you have failed to address my response to your original meaningless post... THIS?

WHERE IS YOUR BRAIN?
MI
Michael

They speak English in America? Since when?
NL
Ne1L C
Very Happy
RK
Rkolsen
what posted:
inal
Based on...?

As you have failed to address my response to your original meaningless post... THIS?

WHERE IS YOUR BRAIN?

I don’t really know Carrie Gracie to make a comment about her style. But in life people can come across as annoying but you can’t quantify it. It’s just a certain feeling. What was just stating an opinion.
MA
Markymark
what posted:

WHERE IS YOUR BRAIN?

I don’t really know Carrie Gracie to make a comment about her style. But in life people can come across as annoying but you can’t quantify it. It’s just a certain feeling. What was just stating an opinion.

Yes, it's just like anything really, from the shape of a car, to bathroom tiles. For the record I can't warm to Carrie (or Naga) they both annoy me with their presenting styles

Newer posts