The Newsroom

Naga Munchetty | BBC DG Overturns Ruling

BBC Backs Down (September 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SP
Steve in Pudsey

Yeah, what was all that about?? Even the other studio guests were disgusted by Brendan’s comments.

Shareable content.
RA
radiolistener
Shades of Iain Lee getting sacked for calling a bigot a bigot.

Other things at hand with Iain. Unfortunately BBC local radio is so vanilla these days that anyone with any "personality" is wiped out. Basically they are there to say "BBC Radio Countyshire" constantly, time check and say "now travel news".
CU
Custard56
It's interesting that the narrative now appears to be shifting towards Dan Walker and his part in "encouraging" Naga Munchetty to say what she did that morning. It's clear from what was said by the BBC representative on Newswatch that they don't approve of what Dan Walker said in the exchange but that they can only take action where a formal complaint has been lodged - and there was only the one about Naga.
LO
lobster
The BBC heirarchy have been cowards in criticizing her.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

But In fact they have been much worse, the bbc executive complaints unit is completely incompetent and continue to be complicit in the discrimination of it's female employees.
BR
Brekkie
They're trying to backpedal and making it even worse if they're now shifting the blame to the white guy. If anything he was absolutely doing his job by putting the racist comments in the context of what many people have experienced and sadly is now occurring more thanks to the normalisation of such language by senior figures.
CU
Custard56
At risk of sounding like a broken record, I can't help but feel this is all going to culminate in Naga Munchetty deciding to part ways with the BBC - as I said before, I imagine there will be unease within the Breakfast team that Naga is the story. That surely can't continue - and it's not as if this story is going away. In fact, it's getting much worse by the day. It's front page news on at least two of Saturday's papers, eager to BBC-bash. There's only so much brushing under the carpet the corporation can get away with here.

The BBC really is its own worst enemy. All of this has been totally unnecessary.
Last edited by Custard56 on 27 September 2019 10:49pm - 2 times in total
JO
Jonwo
She’s not going to resign, she hasn’t even been disciplined. By this time next week, it’ll have blown over.
BR
Brekkie
You are getting ahead of yourself there and making presumptions of a BM11 scale.

I don't think it will lead to her being sacked or resigning in direct relation to the incident, but it's done wonders for her profile which could lead to other opportunities. At the beginning of the week I wouldn't have thought GMB would have any interest in poaching her (or indeed anyone else) from Breakfast - now she comes across as someone who would very much make a mark there and be perfect for the tail end of the week.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Let's not forget most OFCOM judgements simply note that a complaint has been upheld with no further consequences, it's just a slap on the wrists in the first instance.
DV
DVB Cornwall
Mischief making rival .....

DJ
DJGM

I mean isn’t it a known fact that POTUS is a racist? Look at him calling Mexicans rapists,
entire countries sh*tholes, to taking out full page ads in NY newspapers calling for the
death penalty of the Central Park five and never apologizing (and doubling down)
even when they were exonerated and cleared.
Those were just off the top of my head.

There was that time in 2012, when David Letterman called Donald Trump a racist, on the old Late Show on CBS . . .

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=360814638098114
MO
Mouseboy33
Trump has been doing this for years. So I dont think Naga's comments regarding his actions can be taken any other way. The man is a racist. Why is that even up for debate?
From housing discrimination and how vocal he was and still is regarding the Exonerated 5 (formerly known as the Central Park 5) The Award winning Netflix series "When They See Us", shows how everyone in the NYC Metro has always regarded Trump as a racist. Especially when he took out a full page ad advocating the death penalty of the children and teenagers. None of this is new. He is has been trading in racism for decades.

Centre article New York Time 1973

Last edited by Mouseboy33 on 28 September 2019 2:49am - 2 times in total

Newer posts