Mass Media & Technology

Britbox UK - UK SVoD Platform.

£5.99 per month - Platform now live. (February 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
AS
Ash101
It’s an interesting one as My5 has kept shows on there for a year after broadcast, but the player is awful to use and offers no download service.

Whereas Channel 4 have just launched a paid for version of All4, with no ads and (unlike ITV’s which is just typically catch up with no ads) lots of box sets. £3.99 a month.

So I would be shocked to see them sign up to BritBox.
JO
Jonwo
It’s an interesting one as My5 has kept shows on there for a year after broadcast, but the player is awful to use and offers no download service.

Whereas Channel 4 have just launched a paid for version of All4, with no ads and (unlike ITV’s which is just typically catch up with no ads) lots of box sets. £3.99 a month.

So I would be shocked to see them sign up to BritBox.

I think Channel 4 will eventually join Britbox, I imagine All4+ will be a supplement to Britbox much like ITV Hub+ is

I'm surprised My5 hasn't been replaced or overhauled to be part of Pluto TV yet.
LL
London Lite Founding member
Jonwo posted:

I think Channel 4 will eventually join Britbox, I imagine All4+ will be a supplement to Britbox much like ITV Hub+ is

I'm surprised My5 hasn't been replaced or overhauled to be part of Pluto TV yet.

C5 have spin-off channels on Pluto's UK service now, including a 24/7 channel based on their GP's show.
LL
Britbox has gone into Beta with a soft launch on Android (not Android TV) and browsers. There is no support for Chromecast either, so you can't cast from Chrome either.
DV
DVB Cornwall
For a Beta it's a bit thin on the ground but works well signed up tonight.
JO
johnnyboy Founding member
I've just signed up and I like the look of it.

Does any insider on here know if they will put the app on Amazon Fire TV sticks and boxes? TIA.
DV
DVB Cornwall
More details here ...

MarkT76, johnnyboy and London Lite gave kudos
JO
johnnyboy Founding member
Thanks DVB.

Forgive my ignorance but I have a HiSense TV with Freeview Play built in. Would you know if the software to the Freeview Play on my TV will update itself to show Britbox?

I know you're not an official Britbox representative and I am asking if you know more in hope than expectation.
DV
DVB Cornwall
Not sure how Freeview Play works but I believe the skeleton is identical to YouView. If so then there should be an apps tray which should update adding Britbox as an app in due course.
LL
I'm hoping for at least Chromecast support or an Android TV app for the Shield. You can cast the desktop while using Britbox, but it loses frames.
JA
james-2001
What sort of content have they got?
DV
DVB Cornwall
Considerable, and since joining more content is being loaded at least daily, if not more frequently. Name any ITV drama series (other than soaps) broadcast over the past few years, and it’s being loaded. A subset of BBC drama series is available too, but that seems much less at present. Love Island past series are there. Vintage BBC Sitcoms, The Good Life, for example. Some factual, a couple of BBC Wildlife series, Some Brian Cox material too. Fairly varied and worthwhile even in it’s current format.

I’ve been told to expect an AppleTV and iOS apps before next month is out too.

The Key to keeping subscribers will be the input flow of post ITV Hub, My 5 and BBC iPlayer window material. If this is held up casual subscribers will soon notice with the front page format quickly. Talking of which the ‘shop window’ is very good but the indexing of content and presenter/actor searches needs improvement.

I also note subtlety that some elements of the discontinued BBC Store have made there way across. I suspect therefore that that was used as the foundation for this product rather than a complete blank sheet.

I have written an EM suggesting that those of us who have signed up early, get a concession and aren’t charged until one month elapses from the official launch date. I’ll update you as to whether that gets answered and if so what the answer is.
Jeffmister and London Lite gave kudos

Newer posts