« Topics
BM111,044 posts since 2 Jun 2017
London London

I believe that is inaccurate.
TIGHazard500 posts since 3 Jan 2014
Tyne Tees Look North (North East)

It's accurate.

You need five weeks to campaign. So even if a GE (and therefore parliamentary recess) was called tomorrow, that would bring it up to Oct 31st.

Then you have the Queen's speech to start a new parliamentary session, a 6 day debate on the Queen's speech and then a vote on that Queen's speech that the parliament has confidence in this new government. Assuming that there isn't a hung parliament which would add extra days before the Queen's speech as a coalition or confidence and supply deal needs to be worked out.
BBI45 and Brekkie gave kudos
London London

It's accurate.

You need five weeks to campaign. So even if a GE (and therefore parliamentary recess) was called tomorrow, that would bring it up to Oct 31st.

Then you have the Queen's speech to start a new parliamentary session, a 6 day debate on the Queen's speech and then a vote on that Queen's speech that the parliament has confidence in this new government. Assuming that there isn't a hung parliament which would add extra days before the Queen's speech as a coalition or confidence and supply deal needs to be worked out.

Some speculation that a bill to shorten the requirement could be passed but it would be unlikely.
London London

It's accurate.

Some speculation that a bill to shorten the requirement could be passed but it would be unlikely.

Andrew13,719 posts since 27 Mar 2001
Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
The Stoke stuff wasn't great either, pretty much the entire population of England's medium-sized towns must've been vox popped over the last three years. If they just replayed the same clips every night of a young person saying how worried they are and an older person saying "get on with it" you'd end up just as enlightened.

The views from Portsmouth tonight.

Any bets on where we will be visiting tomorrow?
London London
So the opposition got what they wanted in a sense (i.e there now can't be an election before the Brexit deadline)

Not entirely true because in theory a law declaring an election a week later can always technically be passed. But it is very very unlikely.