BM
BM11

I believe that is inaccurate.
TI
TIGHazard
BM11 posted:

It's accurate.

You need five weeks to campaign. So even if a GE (and therefore parliamentary recess) was called tomorrow, that would bring it up to Oct 31st.

Then you have the Queen's speech to start a new parliamentary session, a 6 day debate on the Queen's speech and then a vote on that Queen's speech that the parliament has confidence in this new government. Assuming that there isn't a hung parliament which would add extra days before the Queen's speech as a coalition or confidence and supply deal needs to be worked out.
BM
BM11
BM11 posted:

It's accurate.

You need five weeks to campaign. So even if a GE (and therefore parliamentary recess) was called tomorrow, that would bring it up to Oct 31st.

Then you have the Queen's speech to start a new parliamentary session, a 6 day debate on the Queen's speech and then a vote on that Queen's speech that the parliament has confidence in this new government. Assuming that there isn't a hung parliament which would add extra days before the Queen's speech as a coalition or confidence and supply deal needs to be worked out.

Some speculation that a bill to shorten the requirement could be passed but it would be unlikely.
BK
bkman1990
I see the BBC News clipboards are not even Reithed yet when Simon McCoy is holding one outside Westminster. Do they have the 2008 logo on them because it looks quite big?
BM
BM11
BM11 posted:
BM11 posted:

It's accurate.

Some speculation that a bill to shorten the requirement could be passed but it would be unlikely.

AN
Andrew Founding member
The Stoke stuff wasn't great either, pretty much the entire population of England's medium-sized towns must've been vox popped over the last three years. If they just replayed the same clips every night of a young person saying how worried they are and an older person saying "get on with it" you'd end up just as enlightened.

The views from Portsmouth tonight.

Any bets on where we will be visiting tomorrow?
ST
Ste Founding member

Attack on Peston by Adam Boulton here?
AN
Andrew Founding member
Or annoyed that he didn’t get the exclusive interview?
IS
Inspector Sands
MPs voted against a recess next week (Incidently the 7th vote Johnson has lost) Therefore Parliament will be in session during the Tory Conference

BR
Brekkie
So it should be. Guess that'll mean (even more) overtime for political journalists with two venues to cover.
NE
News96
So the opposition got what they wanted in a sense (i.e there now can't be an election before the Brexit deadline)
BM
BM11
So the opposition got what they wanted in a sense (i.e there now can't be an election before the Brexit deadline)

Not entirely true because in theory a law declaring an election a week later can always technically be passed. But it is very very unlikely.

Newer posts