The Newsroom

Naga Munchetty | BBC DG Overturns Ruling

BBC Backs Down (September 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
GO
gordonthegopher
I see what Naga means in her comments but a BBC News reader should never make the story about themselves. She may have many times been told to go home which is a disgrace but it wasn't her place to make that comment on the BBC Breakfast sofa. She personalised the story which was wrong. I do have sympathy for her though.
DV
DVB Cornwall
The relevant clip is still available on the BBC Breakfast Twitter account surprisingly.

I'm not linking to it here though.
MF
Matthew_Fieldhouse
I wonder if Sunday was the last we saw of Naga on Breakfast and the BBC. She's due to present tomorrow but I can't see it happening.

Saturday

Guessing it will be ignored tomorrow and there won't be any consequences.
GO
gordonthegopher
Carrie Gracie has also waded in, having a go at BBC management for making this decision.

Gracie always wades in now. Even though she is let's say 'awkward' reading the news she has a high opinion of herself.
:-(
A former member
Really surprised at this. You’d think her comments would have been highly praised, and they’re certainly nothing compared to what gets said by Piers on the other side. The BBC really don’t seem to have a good understanding of what’s acceptable and what isn’t, this is a ridiculous knee-jerk reaction.

Although obviously Carrie Gracie is sticking her oar in.
NE
News96
Don't think you'll be getting That explanation Carrie!

GI
ginnyfan
Good on BBC for still trying to stand for objective, no opinion/view/bias news presenting, in this day and age.
EY
the eye
Ever since Carries return from China I can’t help but find her a nuisance and a pain in the arse for the BBC.
NE
Newsroom
Ever since Carries return from China I can’t help but find her a nuisance and a pain in the arse for the BBC.

WHAT???

How old are you? She’s completely right? She’s an intelligent mature woman with exceptional journalistic experience. Contrary to what you might think, people like Gracie and the like are what keeps the BBC top shop on their feet:

Naga did nothing wrong whatsoever, and neither with Gracie for coming to her defense.
BB
BBI45
In my opinion, this is a double-edged sword. On one hand, I believe it is right for journalists to call out politicians and senior figures when they make comments that might be deemed inappropriate in the society we live in. On the other hand, the BBC does have a duty to try and maintain due impartiality.

Whilst I don't entirely agree with the BBC's judgement in this case, I also understand that they need to make it clear that making remarks about senior figures, just because you don't agree with them (regardless of how outrageous those opinions may be) is not always acceptable and risks creating a precedent that could damage the impartiality and the position of the BBC.
Jeffmister and gordonthegopher gave kudos
JW
JamesWorldNews
Wow. Some really interesting reactions here.

But the thought or suggestion of Nags resigning or being taken off-air (in protest or otherwise) seems a bit OTT.

I guess life will carry on as normal and nothing more will be said on-air of the incident.

EDIT | My apologies. I just saw the BBC News website carrying news of the “reprimand”. Objective indeed.

Naga Munchetty 'breached BBC rules' with Trump comments https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-49825570
Last edited by JamesWorldNews on 26 September 2019 4:40am - 2 times in total
MA
Markymark
The relevant clip is still available on the BBC Breakfast Twitter account surprisingly.

I'm not linking to it here though.

Why ever not?

I'm no fan of Naga I'm afraid, but this is no reason to repremand her. The Beeb really are over sensitive (in some respects) to causing offence. If a C4 News presenter had made similar remarks, nothing would have happened, and Piers Morgan's antics on GMB speak for themselves.
JamesWorldNews and Brekkie gave kudos

Newer posts