« Topics
Andrew13,719 posts since 27 Mar 2001
Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
I must question if now is the most appropriate time to be pushing their "We are Stoke" project. They've got 30 minutes to cover a massive story and they choose to dedicate 5 minutes on a segment with some inane vox-pops and an interview with a local radio reporter.

From reading elsewhere the 30 min Special was anything but. Rather than 30 mins analysing what had gone on today, it was by all accounts mostly general brexit stuff, vox pops, stuff about other parties policies etc.

They obviously decided it was such a big story they had to do a news special but then didn’t really come up with what to put into it.
BM111,043 posts since 2 Jun 2017
London London
I must question if now is the most appropriate time to be pushing their "We are Stoke" project. They've got 30 minutes to cover a massive story and they choose to dedicate 5 minutes on a segment with some inane vox-pops and an interview with a local radio reporter.

From reading elsewhere the 30 min Special was anything but. Rather than 30 mins analysing what had gone on today, it was by all accounts mostly general brexit stuff, vox pops, stuff about other parties policies etc.

They obviously decided it was such a big story they had to do a news special but then didn’t really come up with what to put into it.

They also had both parties being reluctant to put up high profile representatives for interview.
Lou Scannon1,200 posts since 1 Jan 2016
HTV West Points West

They also had both parties being reluctant to put up high profile representatives for interview.

The UK only has a grand total of two political parties?
I'm still a European.
Steve in Pudsey10,274 posts since 4 Jan 2003

Not sure I would call what I saw last night interviews, Neil asking the same question over and over after getting a reasonable answer didn't make for great TV.
Write that down in your copybook now.
Markymark7,091 posts since 13 Dec 2004
Meridian (North) South Today

Not sure I would call what I saw last night interviews, Neil asking the same question over and over after getting a reasonable answer didn't make for great TV.

Didn't see the programme, but the broadcasters, even when they have hard recorded evidence of duplicity etc, stop short of confronting the interviewees with it and chucking them under a bus.

Ironically the only person I can think of in recent times, was BBC DG George Entwistle who resigned after being interviewed by John Humphrys over the Savile affair
Steve in Pudsey10,274 posts since 4 Jan 2003
He kept pressing the Labour and Lib-Dem politicians on why they weren't forcing a General Election time and time again despite having been told it would happen in a few weeks once the Brexit extension has actually happened, he kept at it.

It just seemed like Neil didn't have anything else to ask.
Write that down in your copybook now.
Newsroom1,720 posts since 2 Mar 2005 Recently warned
He kept pressing the Labour and Lib-Dem politicians on why they weren't forcing a General Election time and time again despite having been told it would happen in a few weeks once the Brexit extension has actually happened, he kept at it.

It just seemed like Neil didn't have anything else to ask.

BBC have it wrong in using Andrew Neil for these News Special, last night’s especially.

Wasn’t time for political grilling at all.
Formerly News Room
WARNED x 2
Brekkie and BBI45 gave kudos
Blake Connolly1,779 posts since 21 Apr 2001
London London
Yeah, wasn't great. The programme really wasn't helped by the fact the government didn't put anyone up to be interviewed, so you had representatives of the Lib Dems, Labour and Brexit Party being pressed repeatedly on questions to do with a hypothetical election that didn't feel like the most important thing to talk about on the day.

The Stoke stuff wasn't great either, pretty much the entire population of England's medium-sized towns must've been vox popped over the last three years. If they just replayed the same clips every night of a young person saying how worried they are and an older person saying "get on with it" you'd end up just as enlightened.
msim, Andrew and 2 others
  • marshmallow
  • Steve in Pudsey
gave kudos
all new Phil3,262 posts since 12 Feb 2005
Granada North West Today
Some really good use of the graphics (push back?) on BBC News at the moment as Parliament returns, including details of statements planned in the House of Commons today. Can’t help but wonder if it’s testing something out that BBC Parliament will be using.
I love lamp
London London

This can mean in theory an election in less than 25 working days as far as I believe.
Ste1,175 posts since 22 Jun 2001
Granada North West Today

This can mean in theory an election in less than 25 working days as far as I believe.

But it would be amendable and opposition could amend it so the date is after 31st October.
London London

But it would be amendable and opposition could amend it so the date is after 31st October.

Possibly