TV Home Forum

40th anniversary of the ITV strike

10 August – 24 October 1979 (August 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MA
Markymark
I'm sure I read somewhere that Channel used U-Matic for timeshifting, but had to get special dispensation from the IBA as it wasn't deemed broadcast quality

Yes, primarily to timeshift Crossroads, which TSW moved when they took over from Westward.

I don't think CTV ever had 'open reel' VT facilities?
SP
Spencer
I suspect this might be of interest to a fair few here...

JA
james-2001
I hope this is broadcast networkwide, not just on Channel!
WH
Whataday Founding member
I hope this is broadcast networkwide, not just on Channel!

I'm guessing it will be a short film similar to the one produced about the Benest's of Millbrook commercials:

JA
james-2001
I wish other ITV companies put their archive oddities online in the way Channel do.
:-(
A former member
like STV.
JK
JKDerry
Hats off to Channel Television - the smallest ITV franchise but it had more balls than any of the so called big regions to carry on. Yes they were only on each day from 5pm to 11pm during the strike, but better than a blank screen which the rest of us got.

Did Channel Television automatically start their emergency schedule when the main network went on strike, because I would have thought they would need a few days to sort out a schedule, get films flown in etc.
JA
JAS84
If they hadn't stayed on air, the expenses with no ad revenue would've bankrupted them. That's why they didn't strike.
BL
bluecortina
Hats off to Channel Television - the smallest ITV franchise but it had more balls than any of the so called big regions to carry on. Yes they were only on each day from 5pm to 11pm during the strike, but better than a blank screen which the rest of us got.

Did Channel Television automatically start their emergency schedule when the main network went on strike, because I would have thought they would need a few days to sort out a schedule, get films flown in etc.

Have you not learned anything from this thread because the same points have been repeatedly made. If the engineering staff at Channel TV had gone on strike for anything other than a very short period Channel TV would have gone bust. That is why the ACTT did not call their members out on strike at Channel TV let alone the fact the Channel TV was not part of the national agreement between the ITCA companies and the ACTT. There was no question of CTV having the 'balls' to run a service when the other regions didn't, it was a question of financial survival which was recognised by all sides.

Maybe it's late and I'm a bit tired, but can you please read what has been written here - by people who were actually involved in the strike, actually had no income to speak of for 11 weeks.
Last edited by bluecortina on 27 September 2019 12:29am
JK
JKDerry

Have you not learned anything from this thread because the same points have been repeatedly made. If the engineering staff at Channel TV had gone on strike for anything other than a very short period Channel TV would have gone bust. That is why the ACTT did not call their members out on strike at Channel TV let alone the fact the Channel TV was not part of the national agreement between the ITCA companies and the ACTT. There was no question of CTV having the 'balls' to run a service when the other regions didn't, it was a question of financial survival which was recognised by all sides.

Maybe it's late and I'm a bit tired, but can you please read what has been written here - by people who were actually involved in the strike, actually had no income to speak of for 11 weeks. Your repetitive postings on this topic are, frankly, tedious.

Excuse me - I admired Channel Television, I was not being critical at all. Calm down! I think they were fantastic for staying on the air, and all I wanted was a little insight into how they managed, without having to read through 20 pages of this thread.

So, with respect, all I wanted was some insight from the people who were there in 1979. Sweet Lord it seems any little phrase you type on here you get battered over the head for.
JA
Jacq
No. That's not what you said at all. You said that they "had more balls" than any other ITV station because they stayed on during the strike.

They didn't "have more balls." They weren't ignoring or abstaining from the strike.

If they had gone off broadcast, they would have gone bust. It wasn't a grand gesture, it was vital to the continued life of the channel.
SP
Steve in Pudsey

all I wanted was a little insight into how they managed, without having to read through 20 pages of this thread.

So, with respect, all I wanted was some insight from the people who were there in 1979.

I'm not sure that asking things that have been repeatedly covered in the thread you admit that you can't be bothered to read is showing respect. The fact that there are 20 pages should give you an idea that there is a lot of detail and nuance. With respect.

Newer posts