The Newsroom

CNN International & Domestic

(January 2006)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NZ
nznewser
Been a busy day for Bianca Nobilo. Tuned in earlier today to see her filling in for Max Foster (who is in South Africa following Prince Harry & Meghan's tour there) and doing rolling Brexit coverage and I tune in now and she's presenting The Brief.

Agreed that nice to see CNNI sticking with their own coverage rather than just immediately dumping their coverage for Wolf & co like they normally would with any breaking U.S story.

Hala Gorani was also on air at 9am GMT and then back on her usual slot. Busy day!
BF
BFGArmy
Busy news day with a full hour of The Brief and YWT following it, it all feels very energetic. Quest is in London as well and Bianca stayed for a guest spot on YWT too. It feels so good to see CNNI cover major Trump news ON ITS OWN, without the usual domestic talking heads dominating and taking all the air.

Here's the opening from tonight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zldvuNCrxE

Indeed the segment where Quest and Bianca joined Isa and Cyril felt a real showcase of CNN London.
CNN at least for these first few days do seem to be throwing their might behind these shows - Fareed Zakaria was on YWT too last night and I can’t remember him appearing often outside his usual show.
GI
ginnyfan
Studio 7, as used for CNN Newsroom morning editions. Nice to see the long titles in use again!

BF
BFGArmy
Didn’t take long for Your World Today to be dumped for U.S simulcasts. Because who needs strong coverage from the International team when you can have Wolf yelling for everyone to ‘stand by’ and saying ‘Happening now’ every few minutes.
Can’t say I’m surprised though. This weeks sums CNNI up well - the actual International coverage is normally good fare but too often plays second fiddle to Domestic or African Voices/World Sport etc
WW
WW Update
Didn’t take long for Your World Today to be dumped for U.S simulcasts. Because who needs strong coverage from the International team when you can have Wolf yelling for everyone to ‘stand by’ and saying ‘Happening now’ every few minutes.
Can’t say I’m surprised though. This weeks sums CNNI up well - the actual International coverage is normally good fare but too often plays second fiddle to Domestic or African Voices/World Sport etc

But to be fair, what is happening now in the U.S. is truly historic -- no less so than what occurred in Britain a few days ago, when BBC World News also (appropriately) joined the News Channel. There is huge demand around the world for the latest on the impeachment, so it makes sense for CNNI -- for many viewers the only U.S.-based news channel available -- to cater to that demand.
BF
BFGArmy

But to be fair, what is happening now in the U.S. is truly historic -- no less so than what occurred in Britain a few days ago, when BBC World News also (appropriately) joined the News Channel. There is huge demand around the world for the latest on the impeachment, so it makes sense for CNNI -- for many viewers the only U.S.-based news channel available -- to cater to that demand.

Get where you're coming from and that'd be fine if they weren't:

a) Doing it every other week - I know there's been lots of big news out of America in recent years but are they always so big that we'd remember them in a few months time. There are plenty of times CNNI has simulcasted for events that I doubt anybody now remembers. At times, it feels like the primetime line-up is only there for if it's a quiet news day.

b) They often do it for stories that are plainly more on International's patch - surely CNNI were better placed to cover the Notre Dame Fire for example than CNN Domestic especially since it happened around the time Hala is normally on air. Luckily Brianna Keilar was on CNN Domestic who is always excellent but surely on International stories CNNI should be taking the lead (last night not being one of those cases)

c) There are already ample simulcasts in the CNNI schedule. If somebody wants the CNNUS perspective then that's already pretty well covered from 1-5amUKT and 9am-1pm UKT.

Agreed that maybe last night was one of those occassions CNN were right to simulcast but surely simulcasts should be the exception and not the norm like they often are.
I wouldn't mind so much I guess if the coverage quality was similar as both BBC News & World News are pretty high quality (at least when BBC News is doing their own shows) but CNN Domestic is noticably worse than CNNI.

Though in any case the Your World Today Instagram seems to suggest Cyril and Isa were both a bit ill so maybe a simulcast was for the best.
Last edited by BFGArmy on 27 September 2019 10:05am
GI
ginnyfan
We are in the third day of this simulcast and it's terrible. I can take it for a few hours or a day but this will go on FOREVER on CNN US and if CNNI is just gonna follow their path , they might as well close it down.

There are no hearings today, nothing is happening but we're still getting some ''breaking news'' coverage.

CNNI anchors can cover this story and give us an objective view unlike the domestic talking heads.
NE
Newsroom
We are in the third day of this simulcast and it's terrible. I can take it for a few hours or a day but this will go on FOREVER on CNN US and if CNNI is just gonna follow their path , they might as well close it down.

There are no hearings today, nothing is happening but we're still getting some ''breaking news'' coverage.

CNNI anchors can cover this story and give us an objective view unlike the domestic talking heads.

I totally agree! I watch Domestic at home in the UK, and have this week watched International and I cannot fathom why today is being simulcast. Absolutely unnecessary and a total 'switch channel'.
DV
dvboy
I was surprised it didn't happen on Wednesday night, CNNi stuck with an extended The Brief and Your World Today after The Lead.
EX
excel99
Having seen bits of CNN Newsroom from Studio 7 this week, a definite improvement with the bigger brighter studio. Also like how there is some standing up presentation to give some variety, but not too much that it's OTT.
GI
ginnyfan
I wonder if CNNI will use Studio 7 during the weekend. I sure hope so. Does Morning Express air on HNL on weekends?
RO
Rogo23
I wonder if CNNI will use Studio 7 during the weekend. I sure hope so. Does Morning Express air on HNL on weekends?

Weekend Express with Susan Hendricks airs from 7a-12n ET on Saturday & Sunday on HLN, But the last 1 or 2 hours are always a re-air of a previous hour.

Newer posts