TV Home Forum

Channel 5 general discussion

(revised repeat) (February 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JO
Jonwo
I can't believe how poor the main C5 has become. Especially in peak time. They don't seem to show any films any more even at weekends, no drama, no US imports, no entertainment. Just wall to wall cheap documentaries. Sad.

They have aired a number of British and Irish dramas such as 15 Days and Blood with more in the pipeline.

I don’t get the criticism of them airing factual when BBC Two and Channel 4 mostly air factual
BR
Brekkie
Jonwo posted:

I don’t get the criticism of them airing factual when BBC Two and Channel 4 mostly air factual

Of a generally higher quality, and they don't routinely just rename old content and try and pass them off as new programming.

BBC2 and C4 also have a much more varied schedule and both have had scripted comedy and drama, both homegrown and imported, practically weekly throughout 2019.
Ittr, orange and DeMarkay gave kudos
SE
Square Eyes Founding member
Jonwo posted:

Of a generally higher quality, and they don't routinely just rename old content and try and pass them off as new programming.

Yes, nothing wrong with airing factual, but they churn out so many and the subjects are mostly really low rent with a few exceptions. The schedules are so packed with repeats as well. It's not unusual for C5 to screen 3 - 4 hours of repeats a night, weekends are worse.
BR
Brekkie
And the trouble is when C5 do show some quality factual, which admittedly they occassionally do (the Suicide programme earlier in the week seemed to be highly praised) it just gets lost in the schedules amongst all the crap.
BK
bkman1990
The Great Model Railway Challenge has been updated with a new logo, lower thirds, break bumpers & screen wipes. It looks lovely.

The logo for S1 was like this.

The new logo for S2 has a thinner looking typeface. Does anyone know what typeface it is?

AG
AxG
That's Gill Sans, I thought you couldn't be a member here without knowing that font. Laughing
JO
Jonwo
I don’t get why The Great Model Railway Challenge has to be 75 minutes, I know Channel 5 extends The Yorkshire Vet to line up with Bake Off but there’s no other 75 minutes programme to compete with
BK
bkman1990
AxG posted:
That's Gill Sans, I thought you couldn't be a member here without knowing that font. Laughing

I should have known that from the start. I have learned my lesson from the great people of this forum.

The break bumpers are the best part of the presentation. The execution of the lower thirds though do tend to get rushed a lot on screen in that the animations don't come up properly. But other than that it's a good look for the show. I especially like the initials "GMRC" on top of the lower thirds. It should stand for Great Model Railway Challenge when written in full.

11 days later

:-(
A former member
The way CC is going I think it will end up on freeview, right now its giving its viewers "MICHAEL MCINTYRE'S BIG SHOW" later on its Ricky Gervais Show.
MD
MrDexB
Jonwo posted:
I don’t get why The Great Model Railway Challenge has to be 75 minutes, I know Channel 5 extends The Yorkshire Vet to line up with Bake Off but there’s no other 75 minutes programme to compete with

I think Channel 5 has just gotten used to showing shows in 75-minute slots. A way of showing a BBC-length 60-minute programme on commercial television. Clearly, Channel 4 just does it for Bake Off, but Channel 5 might have realised that that type of slot works for more of their programmes.
WH
Whataday Founding member
It's more cost effective to have fewer, but longer programmes in the schedule.
AS
Ash101
Aren’t they doing it so anyone who isn’t interested in what C4 are showing at 9:15 after Bake Off have the option to watch something from the start and not having missed the first part?

Newer posts