« Topics
Schwing228 posts since 13 Oct 2004
BBC World News
Well... It's all going swimmingly, isn't it?

A number of MPs have appeared today suggesting that an election in early November is the only way forward (yes, Stephen Kinnock, I'm looking at you). I did say that if the Courts intervened then the rulebook would be thrown out of the window and anything was possible. Possible scenarios are as follows...

Scenario A: 25th September: Parliament resumes; immediate vote on election; no wash-up period necessary (as nothing's been done in the last two weeks, notwithstanding the Court rewinding the clock); minimum 25 (working) days takes us to... 30th October Shocked

Scenario B: 25th September: Parliament resumes; immediate vote on election; 1 day for wash-up (bills that remain in Parliament even though they haven't been worked on); minimum 25 (working) days takes us to... 31st October Shocked Shocked Can you imagine a General Election on Brexit Day itself?

Both of these are problematic from a studio planning perspective: Strictly will be in full flow by the end of October (Halloween special, everybody). On top of this, studio space will be required for the likes of Graham Norton, Gogglebox Idol's Got the X Factor Big Brother (or whatever will be on ITV), etc.

Scenario C: 25th September: Parliament resumes; immediate vote of confidence; Government loses; mandatory 14 (calendar) day waiting period (in which time a new government could be appointed); 9th October: Parliament dissolves; minimum 25 (working) days takes us to... 13th November.

This is problematic - the Children-in-Need live show is on 15th November. Taking into account that Strictly will move to Blackpool that week, I don't see that this helps at all.

Scenario D: 25th September: Parliament resumes; immediate vote of confidence; Government loses; mandatory 14 (calendar) day waiting period; new government (of national unity, etc) appointed; waits until 31st October to prevent no-deal (even thought law now prevents it from happening; 5 days for wash-up (bills on domestic violence that have broad cross-party support); 5th November (how ironic) Parliament dissolves; minimum 25 (working) days takes us to... 10th December.

Hmmm... Still not convinced that anybody will countenance an election in December. Far too many resources will be tied up with other events throughout December (SPOTY, New Year, etc).

I've based this on the minimum 5 week (25 working day) requirement for an election. I don't see that extending a campaign to 6 or 7 weeks would help at all.

If so minded, I would place a bet on any election being next year.
BBI45 gave kudos
BBI45872 posts since 2 Aug 2015
Central (East) East Midlands Today
Well... It's all going swimmingly, isn't it?

A number of MPs have appeared today suggesting that an election in early November is the only way forward (yes, Stephen Kinnock, I'm looking at you). I did say that if the Courts intervened then the rulebook would be thrown out of the window and anything was possible. Possible scenarios are as follows...

Scenario A: 25th September: Parliament resumes; immediate vote on election; no wash-up period necessary (as nothing's been done in the last two weeks, notwithstanding the Court rewinding the clock); minimum 25 (working) days takes us to... 30th October Shocked

Scenario B: 25th September: Parliament resumes; immediate vote on election; 1 day for wash-up (bills that remain in Parliament even though they haven't been worked on); minimum 25 (working) days takes us to... 31st October Shocked Shocked Can you imagine a General Election on Brexit Day itself?

Both of these are problematic from a studio planning perspective: Strictly will be in full flow by the end of October (Halloween special, everybody). On top of this, studio space will be required for the likes of Graham Norton, Gogglebox Idol's Got the X Factor Big Brother (or whatever will be on ITV), etc.

Scenario C: 25th September: Parliament resumes; immediate vote of confidence; Government loses; mandatory 14 (calendar) day waiting period (in which time a new government could be appointed); 9th October: Parliament dissolves; minimum 25 (working) days takes us to... 13th November.

This is problematic - the Children-in-Need live show is on 15th November. Taking into account that Strictly will move to Blackpool that week, I don't see that this helps at all.

Scenario D: 25th September: Parliament resumes; immediate vote of confidence; Government loses; mandatory 14 (calendar) day waiting period; new government (of national unity, etc) appointed; waits until 31st October to prevent no-deal (even thought law now prevents it from happening; 5 days for wash-up (bills on domestic violence that have broad cross-party support); 5th November (how ironic) Parliament dissolves; minimum 25 (working) days takes us to... 10th December.

Hmmm... Still not convinced that anybody will countenance an election in December. Far too many resources will be tied up with other events throughout December (SPOTY, New Year, etc).

I've based this on the minimum 5 week (25 working day) requirement for an election. I don't see that extending a campaign to 6 or 7 weeks would help at all.

If so minded, I would place a bet on any election being next year.

Assuming there is an election, and studio space is limited, couldn't they use NBH Studio B, as they have done on other occasions before. Not ideal, but surely workable?

.... . ..- - .
Schwing228 posts since 13 Oct 2004
BBC World News
The suggestion that we cannot have a General Election this year because of Sports Personality of the Year taking place in December is one of the more ridiculous things that I have read.

Did I say that? I framed my post within the context of a "studio planning perspective" (given that this is a presentation forum).