The Newsroom

Sky News | Kay Burley@Breakfast

LAUNCHES 14th OCTOBER 2019 (September 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Interesting move for Kay, Sunrise was her gig about 20 years ago.

I remember Chris Evans refering to seeing "Kay Burley who gets up early" on the telly in the studio on either Radio 1 or Virgin back in the day.
NE
Newsroom
A new thread? Really?

Is a new thread about Sarah’s show about to give birth? Or Niall’s?

Come on mods?
GI
ginnyfan
We're talking about the longest serving UK news presenter here, not some random people. Cool
Ratflump and Brekkie gave kudos
NE
Newsroom
We're talking about the longest serving UK news presenter here, not some random people. Cool

Ummmmm, and?

The main Sky News thread covers all sky news. It’s not like the BBC where there are absolutely separate facets.

Kay is moving slot - so what? So is Sarah and Niall.

Jesus, you’d think Anna Ford was moving to Sky Breakfast.

Kay has done Breakfast MANY times since launch.

Chill out people.
Last edited by Newsroom on 23 September 2019 7:12pm
BR
Brekkie
This is the sort of news that absolutely warrants a new thread and people don't use that button enough. Many people couldn't care less about the day to day issues of Sky News but this is a very significant move for both Sunrise and Kay Burley.

Arguably they should have been this bold when Eamonn left but the Dowling effect means Kay will now be compared to the weak Sarah Mae version rather than the strong Eamonn fronted show.
Last edited by Brekkie on 23 September 2019 8:23pm - 2 times in total
LL
London Lite Founding member
I'd also add the format will be radically different on Mon/Thurs compared to the bland fest it is currently. Moving the show to Millbank is also significant.
Ratflump and Brekkie gave kudos
IT
itsrobert Founding member
This is the sort of news that absolutely warrants a new thread and people don't use that button enough. Many people couldn't care less about the day to day issues of Sky News but this is a very significant move for both Sunrise and Kay Burley.

Arguably they should have been this bold when Eamonn left but the Dowling effect means Kay will now be compared to the weak Sarah Mae version rather than the strong Eamonn fronted show.

I completely agree - I don't love Sky News enough that I would follow the mega thread. I occasionally dip into Sunrise if I'm dissatisfied with the other breakfast offerings, so Kay moving to that slot is very interesting. I wouldn't have found out about this change had a new thread not been created.

I think we need to get over the fear of new threads. The mega threads are fine for the day-to-day minutiae but if something significant happens or is announced, then a new thread should absolutely be created.

The other point I'd like to make is that it is much better to report issues directly to the moderators, rather than derailing a thread with procedural matters.
BR
Brekkie
Thought the @Breakfast thing wasn't completly serious above. How very 2000! Very significant though to axe Sunrise after 30 years. I guess the new 6-7am show, The Early Rundown with Niall Paterson will essentially be a "news hour" type format.

And this actually means signficantly less Kay Burley on TV - her airtime is cut by a third! Didn't realise it was moving to Millbank as well - wonder if they'll redo the studio for it as isn't it still in the old (superior) look.
:-(
A former member
A new thread? Really?

Is a new thread about Sarah’s show about to give birth? Or Niall’s?

Come on mods?

its a major presentation change, again people seem to forget the point of this forum
MA
Markyboy81
She will be perfectly in place for the lead up to the next election. Not a fan in the slightest but she is a face that people recognise
TT
TTRWE
If they're to be broadcasting what is arguably their flagship programme from Milbank, you'd hope they'd give the set a proper update to bring it in line with the channel's current look.

I sincerely hope they don't make Millbank look anything like the other two studios. Yes, it stands out like a sore thumb since the old era of Sky was sadly ditched, but it is the only decent-looking news studio they have left.

Great to see that the Breakfast show will now be coming from a studio with Kay as opposed to a cupboard with two massive screens and a VR set or a vanity project glass box.

Do wonder if they are going to reconfigure the VR set ready for an election though, but it won't touch Sky News Centre for sure that was used for the last one.
DW
DavidWhitfield
Not that surprised. Kay seems to like the morning slot, as she's done it on Christmas Day for the last few years. Good luck to her.

Newer posts