The Newsroom

Sky News | Kay Burley@Breakfast

LAUNCHES 14th OCTOBER 2019 (September 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JW
JamesWorldNews
Deserving of a new thread: who’s bright idea was it to give La Burley the Sunrise slot on Sky News?

I thought Afternoons with Kay Burley was a ratings winner? Why change it?

Discuss.
Last edited by JamesWorldNews on 7 October 2019 10:54am - 3 times in total
LH
lhx1985
It's not necessarily a bad idea.

The current iteration of Sunrise is worthy but dull and is essentially an 'also ran' against BBC Breakfast and Good Morning Piers.

Putting who you consider to be your 'personality presenter' in the flagship slot and building a show around them is not necessarily the wrong move. I'm just not sure the Kay suits what seems to be a more political-slanted show (being based at Westminster).

I guess we will see.
BB
BBI45
I will admit, I am quite looking forward to Burley moving to the Breakfast slot. I've always found BBC Breakfast to be quite boring, and Good Morning Britain to occasionally be a bit too provocative and shouty for the time of day. Hopefully, a good balance will be struck.

I find it slightly disappointing that SJM is getting afternoons. I think that there are others who would be better in that slot, but I'm willing to give it a shot.
BF
BFGArmy
Deserving of a new thread: who’s bright idea was it to give La Burley the Sunrise slot on Sky News?

I thought Afternoons with Kay Burley was a ratings winner? Why change it?

Discuss.

The viewers available around Breakfast time are probably higher I guess than in afternoons when many are at work or school. And with Kay being one of Sky’s main presenters it makes sense to have her more visible to more viewers.

And Sunrise in its current form at least on weekdays is neither here nor there and gives you no reason to tune in which is a shame as there’s a gap that can be filled between Breakfast which can seem slightly stale these days and GMB which is often Daily Mail on TV and be more about Piers’s ego than anything else. These days I ignore all three breakfast shows and tune into the radio instead.

The new Kay show intrigues me and hopefully will be more to my tastes than any of the three current TV offerings
DE
derek500
I suppose it's that in these highly charged political times, Sarah-Jane doesn't have the 'bite' with her interviewing technique. Kay will get headlines, especially as they'll mainly be face to face and not down the line.

I expect Kay will return to the Walking Talking News (which she is the best in the business at) in due course.
JW
JamesWorldNews
“Walking Talking News”. Like it!
NL
Ne1L C
Burley vs Morgan. Bring it on!
LL
London Lite Founding member
Well there should be a guarantee that Kay@Breakfast will be presenting her own show on Christmas Day!
BR
Brekkie
Makes alot of sense. GMB could do with her instead of Kate Garraway as someone with a bit more bite at the end of the week.
WL
W1LL
If they're to be broadcasting what is arguably their flagship programme from Milbank, you'd hope they'd give the set a proper update to bring it in line with the channel's current look.
JW
JamesWorldNews
“Sky News at Breakfast” is the label for Friday to Sunday, still presented by Stephen Dixon and Gillian Joseph.

Not sure it it’s an “at” or an @.
AL
alexjac0788
If they're to be broadcasting what is arguably their flagship programme from Milbank, you'd hope they'd give the set a proper update to bring it in line with the channel's current look.

I sincerely hope they don't make Millbank look anything like the other two studios. Yes, it stands out like a sore thumb since the old era of Sky was sadly ditched, but it is the only decent-looking news studio they have left.

Newer posts