The Newsroom

Brexitcast - The TV Show

(June 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Bit of a glitch on the Astons with it dropping to black briefly as it animates on.

Katya in Brussels, Adam is away and in voice only. Looks a lot better on screen in terms of the shot framing.
PE
peterrocket Founding member
clh posted:

No - only selected Proms have ever been broadcast on TV.

Orchestras and artists performing at the Proms are only contracted for their radio and live rights as standard - with TV rights costing an additional amount, which in some cases can be a very large amount... The costs of buying out TV rights to every single Prom performance would be massive.

I'm confused, why would the BBC need to buy the TV rights to their own event? Isn't it the BBC Proms?

Not all the orchestras at the proms are BBC staff orchestras

Orchestras are all still unionised with the MU, and get paid extra if they're broadcast - around £200 each per musician per gig on top of their standard fee. So for a symphony orchestra, that could be an extra £20k onto your bill of already £20k-£30k.
IT
itsrobert Founding member
I've just given this a whirl and I really don't like it. It's a bit chaotic and unpolished. The reflections in the glass are quite distracting; seeing various people sat there squirming, fidgeting and drinking while they're not on camera isn't great. Something just doesn't work for me. I tolerated it for a while before ultimately switching it off.

I'm sure a load of you will jump in and say I'm missing the point and that's what it's all about. I get that, but it's not my cup of tea. I would prefer something actually made for television with proper production standards. Putting the radio on television seems wrong somehow. Almost like I'm spying on them and shouldn't really be there.
DV
dvboy
It seems a bit rushed now they are restricted to just under 30 minutes for TV.
NT
Night Thoughts
As someone that hadn't heard the podcast before, hated the smugness of This Week, and feared Brexitcast would be a little bit "oh aren't we clever", I saw most of tonight's programme and enjoyed it. I thought it played to the participants' strengths - and reinforced my belief that a relaxed discussion format, without an alpha male dominating it, would be a very good thing for political television. (It would have been even better four or five years ago, but that's another matter...)

Does it matter that you're only really looking at restricted camera shots in a radio studio? Doubt it, a chunk of your audience has probably just come back from the pub, another chunk is keen enough they'd probably look at the test card and listen to the audio, and despite the ongoing crisis, the rest of the audience probably sees the "B" word in the title and flees.

It did feel that the shorter slot for TV restricted them, and let's be honest, there's no need to slap #BREXITCAST onto the screen to throw red meat at a social media platform that has a lot to answer for. But it's decent viewing, and better than watching Brillo being an embarrassing grandad.
LL
London Lite Founding member
The beauty of Brexitcast has been that they could just quickly group together whether they're at home, in a hotel lobby etc and put one out (which they still do for major breaking Brexit news), however with television, you can't do that and has to be more pre-arranged and less spontaneous than before with the main Thursday episode.

However from a television POV, I'd still rather watch Brillo prancing around with Michael Portillo in this timeslot.
NG
noggin Founding member
BBC4 only screen the Proms on Fridays now, and BBC2 only show a couple all summer. I'm sure BBC4 used to screen them all in it's early days, or at least they were on the red button.

Orchestras and artists performing at the Proms are only contracted for their radio and live rights as standard - with TV rights costing an additional amount, which in some cases can be a very large amount... The costs of buying out TV rights to every single Prom performance would be massive.

I'm confused, why would the BBC need to buy the TV rights to their own event? Isn't it the BBC Proms?

The BBC Proms - as an event - pay for orchestras from around the world to come and perform at The Proms. They pay them for public performance (i.e. to perform to people sitting in the venue) and for Radio broadcast, as part of their core contract I believe. They DON'T pay the orchestras a blanket fee for their TV broadcast rights.

Yes - it's a BBC event. But that doesn't mean the BBC own all of the rights to the orchestral performances at that event. You don't own 'all rights' to performances just because you are staging the event.
NG
noggin Founding member
Bit of a glitch on the Astons with it dropping to black briefly as it animates on.

That's a common symptom of a vision mixer keyer configured for one type of key, and a graphics box generating the opposite type of key.

On Sony mixers it's Clean Linear vs Linear, on Snell/SAM/GVG Kahuna it's Luma vs Linear. In other areas it's 'shaped' vs 'unshaped' fill, additive vs multiplicative etc. (It's to do with whether the key signal just modifies the background, and the fill is already modified, or modifies the background and the foreground)

If you use a Linear key when a Clean Linear (in Sony terms) is needed you get double fill shaping - which means extra black edges, and fades through black.
CA
Capybara
Phillip Schofield and his ever-active Snapchat story...
MO
Mouseboy33
Brexitcast has been added to the Britbox streaming service.
CU
Cusack

The BBC Proms - as an event - pay for orchestras from around the world to come and perform at The Proms. They pay them for public performance (i.e. to perform to people sitting in the venue) and for Radio broadcast, as part of their core contract I believe. They DON'T pay the orchestras a blanket fee for their TV broadcast rights.

Yes - it's a BBC event. But that doesn't mean the BBC own all of the rights to the orchestral performances at that event. You don't own 'all rights' to performances just because you are staging the event.

Thanks
WH
Whataday Founding member
I've spotted a flaw with the TV show. They spent about 10 minutes recapping something they'd already discussed in an emergency podcast earlier in the week, presumably because it would be too glaring to miss out for viewers that watch from week to week.

It ate into a lot of time for a half hour slot. They need 45 minutes I think (although most of the podcasts are 30 mins or less).

Newer posts