DVB Cornwall
The quaint referenced name of the new NBC Universal streamer
(RXTVLog)
HC
Hatton Cross
Jack Donaghey is still stalking the corridors of 30 Rock, then.. Very Happy
DV
DVB Cornwall
This product is to be marketed primarily via Comcast on a similar to NOW TV derivative ROKU box, it will be interesting to see whether in Roku's main market there's a demand for a stripped down Roku device, I think not unless the box marketing is such that it matches the early NOW ultra cheap offering with passes thrown in. The third parties signed up to distribute will be key.
BR
Brekkie
So that is ABC (Disney+), CBS (All Access) and NBC (Peacock) with streaming services, have FOX got anything in the US?
NL
Ne1L C
FOX NOW.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/fox-now-watch-tv-sports/id571096102
MO
Mouseboy33
, it will be interesting to see whether in Roku's main market there's a demand for a stripped down Roku device, I think not unless the box marketing is such that it matches the early NOW ultra cheap offering with passes thrown in. The third parties signed up to distribute will be key.

What stripped down box are you referring to? Could you clarify?
NG
noggin Founding member
, it will be interesting to see whether in Roku's main market there's a demand for a stripped down Roku device, I think not unless the box marketing is such that it matches the early NOW ultra cheap offering with passes thrown in. The third parties signed up to distribute will be key.

I'm assuming that refers to a NowTV-type device, as sold in the UK.

Sky got Roku (who they partially own, and now I guess NBC Comcast partially own via the Sky merger) to engineer custom, cut-down, Roku boxes and sticks specifically branded for their Now-TV service, which are sold at a very low cost. (One of them included a DVB-T2 tuner for OTA reception along with OTT access, though I'm not sure that's currently offered)

The NowTV stick starts at £15, and at one point you could get boxes for as low as £5 with special offers.
LL
London Lite Founding member

Sky got Roku (who they partially own, and now I guess NBC Comcast partially own via the Sky merger) to engineer custom, cut-down, Roku boxes and sticks specifically branded for their Now-TV service, which are sold at a very low cost. (One of them included a DVB-T2 tuner for OTA reception along with OTT access, though I'm not sure that's currently offered)

That model has been discontinued and replaced with the Now TV 4K box which removes the DVB-T2 tuner. It was always a clunky integration.
NG
noggin Founding member

That model has been discontinued and replaced with the Now TV 4K box which removes the DVB-T2 tuner. It was always a clunky integration.

Yes - the lack of Freeview licensing was an issue (no more than Now and Next EPG on DVB-T2 services because of the proprietary Freeview-licensed Huffman encoding)
WH
what
We have a logo and confirmation of the name:
https://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/archives/new_name_and_logo_for_peacock.php

Quote:
“Peacock will deliver a world-class slate of originals while also offering treasured hits from the vaults of NBC, including The Office and Parks and Recreation, two of the most-watched streaming series. The new streaming service will also feature blockbusters and critically-acclaimed films from Universal Pictures, Focus Features, DreamWorks Animation, Illumination and Hollywood’s biggest studios. In addition, Peacock will tap into NBCUniversal’s unmatched ability to deliver a broad range of compelling topical content across news, sports, late-night and reality.”
BK
bkman1990
I heard from some online media reports recently that Saved by the Bell is going to have a reboot in future along with the classic episodes of the show which could be provided on this new service. I know for nostalgic reasons; you could like this show. I used to watch it frequently as a kid. But in terms of making money for the service; new original content would have to be made in order to keep new subscribers on it.
RK
Rkolsen
So that is ABC (Disney+), CBS (All Access) and NBC (Peacock) with streaming services, have FOX got anything in the US?

I have no idea. Fox (in its current iterations) with the sale of it’s assets Disney is solely a “publisher” of TV shows, they produce local/national news and sports. All of their previous studios and productions are now under Disney.

Is more geared to the current roster of Fox shows which they have the license to show, I doubt it has a large back catalog.

Newer posts