TV Home Forum

Classic Emmerdale

(January 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BS
Ben Shatliff
The reason they moved from the farm was because where they filmed it got new owners and they refused to allow them to film there- maybe that had already happened by this point and that's why we haven't seen the outside of it for a while?

I thought the writers were very clever creating the storyline covering the move from Lindley Farm (the real Emmerdale Farm). The build-up to the departure from the farm begins innocuously with the door that leads to the front parlour and upstairs sticking (which Jack planes and blames on the damp) and the back door which Amos had trouble opening and closing in the first appearance of Leonard Kempinsky and his visit to Annie. Neither of these are of any significance until episodes in January up to the shocking appearance of sinkhole. Quite sad really, I felt it marked the real end of the original Emmerdale Farm era.

Some additional info here: https://emmerdalepastpresent.fandom.com/wiki/Lindley_Farm,_Leathley,_Yorkshire
The farm buildings have been converted to holiday properties: https://www.onthemarket.com/details/730090/ and the main farmhouse has been stunningly modernised: https://www.emmerdale.me.uk/docs/lindley.pdf
I was in that area recently. Arncliffe is bleak in comparison to Esholt but lovely walks.

Thanks for sharing. I am a week behind now. I understand the story of the departure is very soon and I remember it during. Am I right in thinking we have now seen the last of the outdoor shots of the farm?
JA
james-2001
Not the first time they used subsidence as a way to explain the move in filming location, they did the same with the Woolpack on the move to Esholt.

After 1993 it makes Home Farm the only location that's been in use from the beginning of the show. Though there were a couple of years a few years back where they started using somehwere else, which looked nothing like the old Home Farm, before going back to using the original again.

And the more I think about it, the more I wish we'd seen the Farm years on ITV3.
Last edited by james-2001 on 17 September 2019 2:43pm
NicB1971 and Ben Shatliff gave kudos
BS
Ben Shatliff
Not the first time they used subsidence as a way to explain the move in filming location, they did the same with the Woolpack on the move to Esholt.

After 1993 it makes Home Farm the only location that's been in use from the beginning of the show. Though there were a couple of years a few years back where they started using somehwere else, which looked nothing like the old Home Farm, before going back to using the original again.

And the more I think about it, the more I wish we'd seen the Farm years on ITV3.

I agree. It would have been good to see the Farm Years. The pace it is going and the seasonal breaths at that time; it would have been easy to get through those early seasons quite quickly. This was said at the beginning of this thread.
IT
IndigoTucker
Though there were a couple of years a few years back where they started using somehwere else, which looked nothing like the old Home Farm, before going back to using the original again.

It was a temporary facade on the Harewood House set IIRC, tiny and situated behind the sweet factory in real life. The planning permission wasn’t extended and down it came.
JA
james-2001
I agree. It would have been good to see the Farm Years. The pace it is going and the seasonal breaths at that time; it would have been easy to get through those early seasons quite quickly. This was said at the beginning of this thread.

Yes, the show wasn't year round between 1975-85, and some years (76 and 79 in particular) didn't have many episodes at all. We'd be into 1977 now if they'd started at the beginning.
BS
Ben Shatliff

Yes, the show wasn't year round between 1975-85, and some years (76 and 79 in particular) didn't have many episodes at all. We'd be into 1977 now if they'd started at the beginning.

I wonder if they would go back to the beginning?
JA
james-2001

I wonder if they would go back to the beginning?

After getting to what point though? I imagine it's going to be a long, long time before the show gets anywhere near the point they'd consider "too close" and reset it.

Maybe if they stuck it in a late night slot or something, even if it was only a few episodes a week. One day they might be able to offer them on a streaming service, but then they can't even sort out the rights to get the current ITV3 episodes on the Hub.

In fact it's scary to think the current ITV3 episodes are older now than Emmerdale Farm would have been when Sky Soap first started showing it.
Last edited by james-2001 on 17 September 2019 10:33pm
JA
james-2001
Also, tomorrow's ITV3 episodes will be the first ones that Carlton, Westcountry and Meridian showed. Not that it had any impact on Emmerdale's production of course.

Over 3 years worth of episodes and we haven't had any Granada Plus Emmerdale edits yet either, where as they've been pulling them out regularly for Corrie the past few weeks.
JB
JasonB
UK Gold started again twice from the beginning when Eastenders caught up to the then current day episodes.

BR
Brekkie
By the time Emmerdale catches up they'll probably be churning out 10 current episodes a week anyway.

How do the classic episodes rate compared to the encore afternoon showings on ITV2?
JA
james-2001
I think the first UK Gold run stopped when they reached the point EE went 5 times a week- in April 1994. The second run got to I think some point in 2005, then they stopped showing it when it became a comedy channel. It showed up on Watch a few months later, but didn't last long, I think they were at some point in 2006 by then.
NB
NicB1971
Also, tomorrow's ITV3 episodes will be the first ones that Carlton, Westcountry and Meridian showed. Not that it had any impact on Emmerdale's production of course.

Over 3 years worth of episodes and we haven't had any Granada Plus Emmerdale edits yet either, where as they've been pulling them out regularly for Corrie the past few weeks.

The picture and audio quality has been exceptional and there appears to have been no messing with the master tapes, apart from perhaps one or two minor edits for whatever reason - unlike Coronation Street, and I'm surprised ITV have used re-hashed copies.

I wonder what the "Emmerdale Farm" episode quality would be like if broadcast today? It would have been great to have seen from episode 1 - and all exist, unlike Crossroads which ATV/Central massacred.

I find that the repeats are just as good, if not better, than its 2019 version - especially after the comments of Mark Lawson regarding the terminal decline in soaps. ITV have become too complacent in churning both soaps on 6 times a week and the quality has suffered dramatically. The one thing that amazes me is the build-up of over a year to the plane crash with the introduction of Leonard, and the tensions between Eric and Elizabeth Pollard.

On a different Emmerdale matter, Annie mentioned she was 70 in a recent episode which means the character is 97 whereas Sheila Mercier recently turned the amazing 100. It's good the writers still mention Annie, though we will never see her on screen again. It's a shame they don't mention other former villagers as a nod to those watching the "classic" episodes. It would be lovely if ITV could persuade all major cast members back such as Matt and Dolly (who remarried); and Sam Skilbeck; Kathy and Caroline Bates to return in a series of tribute episodes for when Annie does pass away. Lots of characters that viewers could still relate to

It seemed bizarre that Joe and Sarah Sugden were killed off - I much preferred Madeline Howard to Alyson Spiro's portrayal. We also had to endure some duff families in the middle years such as the Glovers and the McAllisters.

Sorry for the ramble - Crossroads and Emmerdale (Farm) are probably the only two soaps I had a real interest in and early Corrie. Embarassed

Newer posts