The Newsroom

Brexitcast - The TV Show

(June 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BR
Brekkie
BBC Two has traditionally been a testing ground for new talent, new content. A chance to be edgy and commission shows that not only are untested, but that don't fit with the BBC One Audience demographic.

It has become something of a safe lifestyle and current affairs channel.

Gone way off topic here but interesting that Peaky Blinders hasn't got the significant bump that other shows moved up to BBC1 have. It can work in it's favour though as longer running shows become more costly so shifting it over to BBC1 frees up their budget and slots for newer content.

I do think from 9-10.30pm BBC2 is pretty strong, but it is weak in early peak and like most channels now after 11pm is just repeats. We obviously all go to bed, or at least turn off linear channels, earlier than we used too. And vaguely getting this back on topic but Brexitcast one of literally a handful, if that, of new shows now that premiere after 11pm, although as it's a repeat of a 9.30pm showing on the News Channel we probably can't even say that.
LL
London Lite Founding member
Brexitcast has been used for filler on the NC in the past, so I'm expecting something akin to that tonight.

First broadcast at 2130, not scheduled as weekend filler yet

It was on Saturday at 2.30pm and the early hours of Sunday at 12.30am.
VM
VMPhil
Thing is that most of BBC4's original programming would never be commissioned for BBC2. It's just not true that 4 syphoned off lots of 2's remit and content, it has created its own style and remit.

A lot of what BBC 4 commissions is too cheap and niche for BBC2, and it would never show foreign dramas in peak time or commit as much airtime to the Proms as BBC4 does.

Completely agree, niche programming like slow TV would just not work on BBC Two.
BR
Brekkie
BBC4 only screen the Proms on Fridays now, and BBC2 only show a couple all summer. I'm sure BBC4 used to screen them all in it's early days, or at least they were on the red button.
CO
commseng
No, even early on BBC 4 was only at selected Proms. It's only Radio 3 that broadcast them all.
GA
Gallunach
BBC4 only screen the Proms on Fridays now, and BBC2 only show a couple all summer. I'm sure BBC4 used to screen them all in it's early days, or at least they were on the red button.

Not only Friday Sunday as well
NG
noggin Founding member

No - only selected Proms have ever been broadcast on TV.

Orchestras and artists performing at the Proms are only contracted for their radio and live rights as standard - with TV rights costing an additional amount, which in some cases can be a very large amount... The costs of buying out TV rights to every single Prom performance would be massive.
MA
Markymark
Thing is that most of BBC4's original programming would never be commissioned for BBC2. It's just not true that 4 syphoned off lots of 2's remit and content, it has created its own style and remit.

A lot of what BBC 4 commissions is too cheap and niche for BBC2, and it would never show foreign dramas in peak time

It has in the past, but I agree, it wouldn't today
DV
DVB Cornwall
Interesting discussion today, would be interested to hear opinions. Argument in the discussion was that putting Brexitcast on television, even at an obscure time in the schedule could lead to tempering the acerbic nature of some of the points in the audio only podcast.

I can see the value of the statement, others?
WH
Whataday Founding member
Interesting discussion today, would be interested to hear opinions. Argument in the discussion was that putting Brexitcast on television, even at an obscure time in the schedule could lead to tempering the acerbic nature of some of the points in the audio only podcast.

I can see the value of the statement, others?

On face value I can see the point but don't agree.

I wouldn't call any of the exchanges acerbic. Discussion is already tempered in the podcasts as they still follow BBC editorial policy.

It could be argued that the hosts might give a bit less away due to the wider audience reached and the chances of even the slightest comment being blown up on Twitter/in the tabloids. However Brexitcast (the podcast) already gets around 1.5 million downloads a month, so it's already widely consumed.
CU
Cusack

Orchestras and artists performing at the Proms are only contracted for their radio and live rights as standard - with TV rights costing an additional amount, which in some cases can be a very large amount... The costs of buying out TV rights to every single Prom performance would be massive.

I'm confused, why would the BBC need to buy the TV rights to their own event? Isn't it the BBC Proms?
CL
clh

I'm confused, why would the BBC need to buy the TV rights to their own event? Isn't it the BBC Proms?

Not all the orchestras at the proms are BBC staff orchestras

Newer posts