TV Home Forum

New Sky channels: Crime, Comedy, Documentaries, Nature

Sky Documentaries, History and Nature now launched (August 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
KU
Kunst
_Tom_ posted:
[wildly speculative - possibly borderline delusional opinion ahead]
It would almost make sense to move all the Witness programming to Crime and then do something like launch Bravo (as in - the NBCUniversal Bravo, not the UK one) in its place? The lines are kind of blurred between those two channels right now, they’re very similar to each other.

They're different

First Sky Witness in spite of a crime-focus, also broadcasts non-crime stuff like Grey's Anatomy; second its crime contents is more procedural, similar to Universal Channel (and we might expect its closure)..

Second, Sky Crime is a more premium kind of drama from what I've been able to understand

Third, stereotypical male content just doesn't work in TV,and they certainly wouldn't resurrect Bravo in a strange Sky Bravo form
OR
orange
I specified what Bravo I meant!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bravo_(American_TV_channel)
KU
Kunst
Oops, sorry

But I can't see the audience for that
MI
TheMike
JAS84 posted:

Sounds like alignment with Sky Germany, which has a Sky Krimi channel
I would imagine that Krimi will relaunch at around the same time, sharing Sky Crime's idents.

Sky Krimi is a 100% homegrown crime thriller channel, all originating from Germany or Austria. https://www.sky.de/tvguide/sky-krimi-c1 'Krimi' is a specific German term for crime thrillers, i.e. viewers will say they're going to watch a Krimi tonight.

Sky Crime will be a US-focused "real life, true story" crime reality channel with content from HBO, Oxygen and others.

The names may sound similar, they are completely different propositions.

A+E recently replaced its entertainment channel with C+I in Germany, where it's referred to as
" der erste und einzige True-Crime-Sender im deutschsprachigen TV " https://www.crimeandinvestigation.de/?from-ae=true

So you could quite possibly have a Crime and a Krimi channel in Germany, as for viewers they are different things.

update Sky Germany have confirmed they are making Sky Krimi available in HD in October. It's the most popular channel in Sky Germany's starter packet.
Last edited by TheMike on 21 August 2019 10:09pm
MI
TheMike
Kunst posted:
_Tom_ posted:
[wildly speculative - possibly borderline delusional opinion ahead]
It would almost make sense to move all the Witness programming to Crime and then do something like launch Bravo (as in - the NBCUniversal Bravo, not the UK one) in its place? The lines are kind of blurred between those two channels right now, they’re very similar to each other.

They're different

First Sky Witness in spite of a crime-focus, also broadcasts non-crime stuff like Grey's Anatomy; second its crime contents is more procedural, similar to Universal Channel (and we might expect its closure)..

Second, Sky Crime is a more premium kind of drama from what I've been able to understand

Third, stereotypical male content just doesn't work in TV,and they certainly wouldn't resurrect Bravo in a strange Sky Bravo form

No. Premium 'true crime' factual/reality series, not drama.
SL
Slocker
I’m thinking a leage of there own will move to the comedy channel
:-(
A former member
Then really what the point of Sky 1 Why not call Sky Simpsons.
GO
gottago
I’m thinking a leage of there own will move to the comedy channel

Sky Comedy will be 100% imports while Sky Crime will commission about 50 hours of UK content a year. These are just cheap channels to take advantage of quite a large library they now have access to.
Jeffmister, Cando and Sh1ruba gave kudos
SK
skyviewer

Sky Krimi is a 100% homegrown crime thriller channel, all originating from Germany or Austria. https://www.sky.de/tvguide/sky-krimi-c1 'Krimi' is a specific German term for crime thrillers, i.e. viewers will say they're going to watch a Krimi tonight.
...The names may sound similar, they are completely different propositions...

...So you could quite possibly have a Crime and a Krimi channel in Germany, as for viewers they are different things.

As a German native I can confirm that. Does anyone know though why Sky Germany does not switch to the lowercase-look? Sky Sport also still uses the old brand identity that Sky Sports UK already got rid of in 2017 and Italy in Summer 2018.
RD
rdd Founding member
Then really what the point of Sky 1 Why not call Sky Simpsons.

It’s got the best EPG position of any non-PSB channel on the Sky EPG, widespread carriage on most pay TV platforms (including platforms that Sky won’t sell Sky Atlantic to because it wants to keep it an exclusive proposition), a history that predates Sky as a platform by the guts of a decade, and ratings that would still be the envy of most pay-TV channels.

24 days later

:-(
A former member
Has any promo appeared yet for the new channel?
J4
j4ever24
Has any promo appeared yet for the new channel?
yeah saw a sky crime promo this afternoon while i was watching road wars on sky witness

Newer posts