TV Home Forum

Top of the Pops

1990 on BBC Four (January 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SP
Steve in Pudsey
It certainly wasn't unheard of for Sport to use Pres B in that era as a matter of routine, this is 1987

SW
Steve Williams
It certainly wasn't unheard of for Sport to use Pres B in that era as a matter of routine, this is 1987

That's true enough, they would presumably use it for small-scale productions that were just topping and tailing a world feed or something, but you wouldn't normally see Grandstand or anything in there because they'd have all the production team on the set.
JA
james-2001
I'm wondering how they're going to handle the "All About Eve" incident in a few weeks, are they going to leave it in, cut it out, or cut it in at the point the song came back on in the studio? They really should leave it in, but they've cut things out before- even things that were made light of in that year's Story Of.
SW
Steve Williams
I'm wondering how they're going to handle the "All About Eve" incident in a few weeks, are they going to leave it in, cut it out, or cut it in at the point the song came back on in the studio? They really should leave it in, but they've cut things out before- even things that were made light of in that year's Story Of.

There's no way they're not going to show it.

The only thing that was in the doc that they cut out of the actual show was Roger Daltrey's "Watch yer backs!" about the Village People - which was because they could show it in context in the doc but it wasn't worth offending people by leaving in the actual show.

I am 100% certain they'll leave it in.
JA
james-2001
The only thing that was in the doc that they cut out of the actual show was Roger Daltrey's "Watch yer backs!" about the Village People - which was because they could show it in context in the doc but it wasn't worth offending people by leaving in the actual show.

They also cut out Gary Davies making a slightly un-PC comment about Dixie Peach which was shown in the Story of 1985

They also edited out a brief microphone cock up with Richard Skinner from a live episode for some strange reason- but left in him and Steve Wright joking about it later in the episode. That's the edit I think of more than anything which makes me think we might not get the full All About Eve performance.
AR
Argybargy
I can fully understand edits for "un-PC" comments by DJs or guests, in case people get offended and complain to the BBC. Which is why I see no reason at all why they'd edit the All About Eve "miming disaster". It's part of TOTP history and will not cause offence to anyone. It still makes for cringeworthy viewing, of course, even after all these years! I'm confident we'll see the whole performance when we get to that edition.

At least we'll subsequently see a faultless live performance on the following week's edition.
Lottie Long-Legs and tightrope78 gave kudos
SW
Steve Williams
They also edited out a brief microphone cock up with Richard Skinner from a live episode for some strange reason- but left in him and Steve Wright joking about it later in the episode. That's the edit I think of more than anything which makes me think we might not get the full All About Eve performance.

Strange though that seemed, it did make a sort of sense in that Richard Skinner's broken microphone meant he was inaudible and they broadcast a load of static, so it looked and sounded wrong and presumably some of the audience would have thought it was a modern day fault, there's a difference between "rewriting history" and editing out technical faults that make no material difference to the show. Not the case here.
JA
james-2001
BBC4 listings now showing the 23/6/88 edition being skipped over. No banned presenters, no banned acts, UK Gold showed this one back in the 90s and one of the performances from it was shown on Big Hits 88 so it's not missing from the archive. Have they confused Mark Goodier with Mike Smith again like they did with the 25/2/88 edition?
DV
dvboy
I would take listings for the week of 21 September with a pinch of salt this far ahead.
tightrope78, Steve Williams and benriggers gave kudos
JA
james-2001
According to someone on Popscene it's another live edition with mute links issue (and a 2 minute chunk of silence near the beginning of the show). You'd think by 1988 they'd have been making sure they recorded these episodes properly. With any luck they might be able to marry the audio with an off air recording in time like they did with the other mute editions.
AR
Argybargy
According to someone on Popscene it's another live edition with mute links issue (and a 2 minute chunk of silence near the beginning of the show). You'd think by 1988 they'd have been making sure they recorded these episodes properly. With any luck they might be able to marry the audio with an off air recording in time like they did with the other mute editions.

The "mute link" issue hasn't happened for a good while now, has it? I think the last time it did was on one of the 1982 editions.
JA
james-2001
1984 actually, and I think it affected a couple of episodes that year (including the 20th birthday edition). But yeah, I'm suprised it's affecting an episode as late as 1988.

We did lose an edition in 1985 because the master tape apparently went missing en route to being digitised in the 90s as well.

Newer posts