TV Home Forum

Channel 5 general discussion

(revised repeat) (February 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
KK
KolonelKlink
I notice CH5 are showing a programme tonight called ‘Aldi vs Lidl: Supermarket Wars’.

Immediately my spidey sense started tingling, considering they broadcast a show entitled ‘Inside Aldi’ just two weeks ago in the same 9pm Monday slot. It appears, however, they are different shows with different production teams.

How many programmes about German supermarket chains does one channel need in such a short space of time? There’s “knowing your audience” and there’s losing the plot; CH5’s commissioners seem to have fallen into the latter category.
MA
Markymark
I notice CH5 are showing a programme tonight called ‘Aldi vs Lidl: Supermarket Wars’.

Immediately my spidey sense started tingling, considering they broadcast a show entitled ‘Inside Aldi’ just two weeks ago in the same 9pm Monday slot. It appears, however, they are different shows with different production teams.

How many programmes about German supermarket chains does one channel need in such a short space of time? There’s “knowing your audience” and there’s losing the plot; CH5’s commissioners seem to have fallen into the latter category.

My father once asked me whether Eddie Stobart had a share holding in C5
Capybara and DeMarkay gave kudos
JO
Jonwo

The Aldi doc did 2.5m consolidated so it's no surprised they've ordered another documentary so soon.

Tomorrow, there's showing a documentary about Male suicide so it's swings and roundabouts, the light factual docs allows them to do more serious programme that won't rate so well.
gottago and Whataday gave kudos
JO
Jon
I’m sure the ‘Suicide’ documentary will probably do quite well tomorrow.

Presumably if it doesn’t, it will rebranded as ‘Doing Yourself In’, the following week and shown again.
JO
Jonwo
Jon posted:
I’m sure the ‘Suicide’ documentary will probably do quite well tomorrow.

Presumably if it doesn’t, it will rebranded as ‘Doing Yourself In’, the following week and shown again.

That’s in very poor taste that last bit.
Gary Baldy, tweedledum and DeMarkay gave kudos
SP
Steve in Pudsey
I don't always agree with Jon, but that was clearly a dig at Channel 5's practice of repeating programmes under a new name, rather than making light of suicide.
AN
Andrew Founding member

I agree that they do seem to overload on lots of overlapping documentaries about similar topics in a short space of time. That’s because you factor in all the different title repeats.

It’s almost as if they asked production companies to make a doc about Aldi, and then commissioned all of them.
KolonelKlink and Lou Scannon gave kudos
AN
Andrew Founding member
According to posts on DS, last nights documentary was a rehash of the previous one, rather than being fully new.
GO
gottago
I've been told that Comedy Central is coming under Ben Frow's remit soon and there will be programming changes. This comes a few weeks after Comedy Central was mysteriously grouped with the C5 channels on BARB. I'd speculate that Sky are pulling out of their partnership in the channel ahead of the launch of Sky Comedy. I wonder if it could eventually see them launching it on Freeview.
PF
PFML84
Who will get the high EPG slot though? Will it eventually become FTA?

And most importantly, how long before Comedy Central start showing Can't Pay, We'll Take It Away and Police Interceptors?
JO
Jonwo
I think they should close 5Spike and put its content on Paramount Network.

Channel 5 and Comedy Central could work together on co-commissions or repeat some CC originals like Blockbusters on the main channel at say 7pm.
JF
JetixFann450
Definitely can see Comedy Central going on Freeview. Germany's own version was already on free-to-air and on 24 hours after the closure of VIVA.

Newer posts