« Topics
AJB3928 posts since 10 Aug 2019 new member
True but I do think it should have been on news channel as well. I also wanted to give Sky News credit where credit was due.
Londoner gave kudos
chinamug448 posts since 29 Jul 2013
UTV Newsline
The coverage on Sky News was excellent, the extra cameras made all the difference. BBC Parliament also deserves top marks, especially for its commentary. However, it's a big mistake that the BBC News Channel didn't cover the event. Is this not what the News Channel is supposed to do? It's a real weak spot at the moment that hour between Midnight and 1.00am. There's nothing wrong with Newsday, but it's not suited for that hour.
fusionlad, itsrobert and 3 others
  • Londoner
  • AJB39
gave kudos
Rkolsen2,803 posts since 20 Jan 2014
BBC World News
I watched it on Sky and found the whole process extremely fascinating. They seemed to do a decent job describing what was going on and who people were. Perfect for an international viewer.

Only issue is once everything was over and the clock struck 2AM BST the Aston’s during the opening of Sky’s continuing coverage stayed up saying News At Ten.

It’s a shame BBC Parliament isn’t available free to international viewers, it’s run on a shoestring budget and likely has zero rights issues.
Don’t let anyone treat you like you’re a VO/SOT when you’re a PKG.
AJB39 gave kudos
62305823,464 posts since 19 Aug 2005
It does make you wonder why the BBC cares more about BBC world news then BBC News Channel, the BBC has a duty to its viewers first not the world. 6 hours of original content a day during the week? that is poor in anyone's books.

Its not the first time BBC news has failed to be able to deal with UK overnight breaking news probably.
itsrobert gave kudos
chinamug448 posts since 29 Jul 2013
UTV Newsline
It's not like this was breaking, it was inevitable. Did Newsday cover it though as surely the International interest warranted it?

That's what I couldn't work out, everyone knew that it was happening, and to be fair it's a big news story. But every time I quickly turned over it was some story from Asia.
Blake Connolly1,767 posts since 21 Apr 2001
London London
It's not like this was breaking, it was inevitable. Did Newsday cover it though as surely the International interest warranted it?

They covered the vote live at 00:30ish, but when all the interesting prorogation stuff was going on between 01:30-02:00 they were on Asia Buisness Report, Sport Today and the weather.
Brekkie gave kudos
Markymark6,959 posts since 13 Dec 2004
Meridian (North) South Today

They covered the vote live at 00:30ish, but when all the interesting prorogation stuff was going on between 01:30-02:00 they were on Asia Buisness Report, Sport Today and the weather.

Which to be fair is 8am in the Far East, and exactly what the viewers in that region would have expected and appreciated
Brekkie31,803 posts since 4 Jan 2003 Banned for 1 week
HTV Wales Wales Today
I know we're all sick of it but really don't think someone being addicted to prescription drugs and Geoffrey Boycott getting a Knighthood deserved to be top of the running order on the BBC and ITV respectively over the pretty much unprecedented suspension of democracy and how that played out in this evening's bulletins, which for many would be the first sight of the news since events unfolded.
I preferred the internet when it had a sense of humour.
itsrobert6,320 posts since 23 Mar 2001
Granada North West Today

Which to be fair is 8am in the Far East, and exactly what the viewers in that region would have expected and appreciated

But which region should take precedence? Viewers in Asia or licence-fee paying viewers in the UK? It does seem to me that the BBC puts far more value on its international offerings than it does to its domestic commitments. They can't possible broadcast something UK-centric to the world, yet UK viewers have to put up with all sorts of pretty irrelevant foreign news thanks to the cutbacks.

All this serves to do is to make BBC News appear worthless to UK viewers and will result in further cutbacks. In times gone by I would automatically go to BBC News to follow developing stories; now it's Sky News all the way. Nine times out of ten it's something pretty irrelevant on BBC News whenever I tune in.
marshmallow, chinamug and 3 others
  • james-2001
  • Brekkie
gave kudos