The Newsroom

London regional thread

(September 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
TR
TheTravelcard
In the seeming absence of a thread to discuss BBC/ITV London generally, here's a new one!

Tonight's 6.50pm BBC London bulletin didn't go out. In the past when this has happened, the region has taken South East Today but tonight, the region stayed with the BBC News channel (ticker and all) and got the NC weather then the network BBC One weather. Perhaps this will be rectified by 10pm?
IS
Inspector Sands
The News Channel is what is carried on BBC1 SD when the regional news is on. If a region doesn't opt or has to crash out of the opt then that's what is seen.

If its known in advance then an alternative region can be routed out instead, but as I say that takes a bit of notice
MA
Markymark
The News Channel is what is carried on BBC1 SD when the regional news is on. If a region doesn't opt or has to crash out of the opt then that's what is seen.

If its known in advance then an alternative region can be routed out instead, but as I say that takes a bit of notice

They should bring back what they did in the 70s before there was any London News and have a Tom and Jerry cartoon as the sustaining service.

But seriously, wouldn't it be better in this age of server playout just to have a lump of trailers as the sustaining feed, (at least for the short opt slots)?
WM
WMD
Talking of failed opts, there was supposed to be a rare opt out at 7:30pm last Wednesday on BBC One London - a repeat of Street Food Servant. It didn’t materialise on DSAT or the live iPlayer stream - not sure about DTT. It did appear on iPlayer later.
MA
Markymark
WMD posted:
Talking of failed opts, there was supposed to be a rare opt out at 7:30pm last Wednesday on BBC One London - a repeat of Street Food Servant. It didn’t materialise on DSAT or the live iPlayer stream - not sure about DTT. It did appear on iPlayer later.

I suspect there were worries the events in Westminster might have required short notice changes to the schedule, so having London during an opt might have been all a bit too complicated?
IS
Inspector Sands

But seriously, wouldn't it be better in this age of server playout just to have a lump of trailers as the sustaining feed, (at least for the short opt slots)?

Yep or the 'This is BBC One' barker which is what they show on HD during the 6:30 regional news. It would have to be captioned with an apology though.
MA
Markymark

Yep or the 'This is BBC One' barker which is what they show on HD during the 6:30 regional news. It would have to be captioned with an apology though.

It could probably be captioned on SD, but clean (or a different apology !) on HD ?

8 days later

RD
RDJ
Gearing ended tonight's late bulletin "From all the team at London Tonight, goodnight".

Six years out of date there.
MA
Macalolo
RDJ posted:
Gearing ended tonight's late bulletin "From all the team at London Tonight, goodnight".

Six years out of date there.

I believe the words were on London tonight rather than at London Tonight

35 days later

BC
Blake Connolly Founding member
BBC London during Breakfast this morning keeps doing a story and following it with "and you can see more on that on tonight's Inside Out East", which is a bit of a head-scratcher.

(Yes, I know about iPlayer, but still...)
MA
Markymark
BBC London during Breakfast this morning keeps doing a story and following it with "and you can see more on that on tonight's Inside Out East", which is a bit of a head-scratcher.

(Yes, I know about iPlayer, but still...)

They never point out when promoting regional Inside Outs, that they are available on Sky and Freesat in the 900s to everybody, which given the fortune the BBC pay (at least to Sky) to have all their regions available to all via EPG 900 is very odd ?
LL
London Lite Founding member
Yesterday morning, London opted out late during the BBC One HD CA link into Sunday Politics, so we had the CA mentioning that SP North West was on, then the London announcement recorded by the same person with the swimmers ident.

Newer posts