« Topics
VMPhil9,777 posts since 31 Mar 2005
Granada North West Today
I know people don’t like that theme tune, but it annoys me that it gets removed from series 1 repeats in favour of the newer theme. Series 1 of any show always has bits of it that look or feel off, and you’re not going to fix that just by changing the theme tune.

Plus, as has been pointed out to me on Twitter, it also explains why the titles were designed that way, as they’re in sync with the music.
itsrobert, mat76 and 623058 gave kudos
Steve in Pudsey10,170 posts since 4 Jan 2003
Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
Countdown Masters was notable for being the point where Carol started putting up the letters rather than just doing the numbers round.

Strange seeing Richard sat in the lexicographer's seat in Dictionary Corner and Carol sat in his usual chair. Explains the strange camera angle on Richard's close up.
Write that down in your copybook now.
james-20015,071 posts since 13 Sep 2015
Central (East) East Midlands Today
There was a big thread a couple of years ago that featured all kinds of shows that had their themes changed, and OFOH wasn't the only show that had its theme retro-changed:
https://tvforum.uk/tvhome/tv-shows-changed-theme-tune-42912/

Mr Bean and Mike & Angelo according to that thread. I know the CITV 30th birthday weekend showed a retrofitted episode from Series 2 (it still had the original 1989 Thames endcap though!).
Neil Jones5,421 posts since 23 Dec 2001
Central (West) Midlands Today
In fairness though, the first episode of Mr Bean kept its original theme in the episode (as it was used as a "end of segment" theme to bridge the segments, it wasn't like it was totally ripped out OFAH style) - the only real change was tacking the better known opening sequence onto it (and the fact Bean had a different car in the episode which he ultimately destroyed which is why he had a green mini from that point on, although of course how he retained a driving licence at all considering all the things he did with it is beyond me).
Inspector Sands13,762 posts since 25 Aug 2004
I hadn't realised they'd re-edited the first episode with the later titles. A shame because the theme tune and opening sequence in the original episode is great.

It's kind of been forgotten now that the first episode of Mr Bean wasn't really a 1st episode or even a pilot, but a one off. It was so successful that another 2 were commissioned for the next year

Neither was it really a series, it only appeared as one offs often with a year or so between them. So to be used as an example of a programme that changed its theme tune isn't a great one
Brekkie gave kudos
Neil Jones5,421 posts since 23 Dec 2001
Central (West) Midlands Today
Like most of these things it was probably done for syndication reasons.
Still at least the last time I looked at a Mr Bean airing on whichever ITV channel it currently airs on, they still had the original copyright dates on them. The endcaps were new but the dates were still correct.

And of course people forget that there was that Mr Bean episode that never aired on TV, it was originally exclusive to video, but presumably somebody just packaged a group of files up to a broadcaster somewhere and it lost its exclusivity status, and actually aired, not that anybody seemed to mind or notice.

There was another TV show I can't remember what it was that pushed out exclusive episodes or material on home video, only for it to air on TV a few months later. There was quite an uproar about it, ironically enough.
Larry the Loafer5,584 posts since 2 Jul 2005
Granada North West Today
There was another TV show I can't remember what it was that pushed out exclusive episodes or material on home video, only for it to air on TV a few months later. There was quite an uproar about it, ironically enough.

Are you thinking of whatever BBC show it was when the DVD release came out before the series finished airing? I think it was Gavin and Stacey but don't quote me on that.