TV Home Forum

The Late Late Gay Byrne Irish Television Thread

Irish TV legend passes away (October 2012)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
AJ
AJB39
RTE should show some bbc panel show greats like have i got news for you and mock the week and would i lie to you. it would boost the ratings

RTÉ have shown Mock the Week before.
BA
Ballyboy
yeah but it's on very late. if they shown it earlier as part of a new strand called panel show mondays
TV
TVLand
Oh dear...
NG
noggin Founding member
Clare McNamara's post match interview with James Ryan on RTÉ2 was simulcast on Channel 4 today with the RTÉ Sport microphone cropped out.

Was it simulcast or just turned-round and replayed?
JK
JKDerry
The RTE Player is probably one of the things at RTE which is going to be "reviewed" by their Director General this October. It is a really useless player, and needs to be relaunched properly, with all Irish made content provided internationally.

How is it useless? The RTÉ Player was only relaunched earlier this year, and has improved massively from what it was. And, Irish made content is already available on RTÉ Player International.

I call out the fact that to access the international version means you have to download the app, and not watch it on your laptop like the BBC iPlayer. They made the interface confusing, as you can't simply select a free programme to watch, click and play - Try it for yourself and see.
TV
TVLand
I've just seen a new promo on Virgin Media One for their news output.
It covers all of their news output including their normal bulletins, The Tonight Show and Pat Kenny's big debate.
Claire Brock, Colette Fitzpatrick, Caroline Twohig, Zara King, Micheal Ryan, Gavin Reilly (Political Correspondent), Sarah O'Connor (Crime Correspondent), Paul Colgan (Economics Correspondent), Ivan Yates, Matt Cooper and Pat Kenny are featured.
They talk about how they tell the "Real News", that they keep people up to date from first thing in the morning to last thing at night, and how they are Ireland's only independent television news service.
They've given it the rather chunky name of "Virgin Media Television News and Current Affairs".
JK
JKDerry
It covers all of their news output including their normal bulletins, The Tonight Show and Pat Kenny's big debate.
Claire Brock, Colette Fitzpatrick, Caroline Twohig, Zara King, Micheal Ryan, Gavin Reilly (Political Correspondent), Sarah O'Connor (Crime Correspondent), Paul Colgan (Economics Correspondent), Ivan Yates, Matt Cooper and Pat Kenny are featured.
They talk about how they tell the "Real News", that they keep people up to date from first thing in the morning to last thing at night, and how they are Ireland's only independent television news service.
They've given it the rather chunky name of "Virgin Media Television News and Current Affairs".

When you add up the amount of news provided on a typical weekday on Virgin Media One, it is quite impressive.

News Bulletins during Ireland AM from 7.00am - 10.30am
News at 12.30
News at 5.30
News at 8.00
Tonight Show

The 10pm bulletin on Virgin Media Two

Credit given where it is due, it is just a shame they could not put the same effort into their online news, which is appalling.
GO
gottago

Credit given where it is due, it is just a shame they could not put the same effort into their online news, which is appalling.

If there was any demand for an online news service from them then they would be providing it. But there isn't so they're not.
TV
TVLand
Colette is doing the News at 5:30 today. I don’t think i’ve ever seen her do a Sunday bulletin, normally its one of the relief presenters.
LL
London Lite Founding member
Colette is doing the News at 5:30 today. I don’t think i’ve ever seen her do a Sunday bulletin, normally its one of the relief presenters.

I've seen her cover a Sunday bulletin before when it was TV3. Incidentally who covered Weekend AM this morning as I've seen them then go on to do the 5.30 at weekends.
TV
TVLand

I've seen her cover a Sunday bulletin before when it was TV3. Incidentally who covered Weekend AM this morning as I've seen them then go on to do the 5.30 at weekends.

Siobhán Bastible did Weekend AM today.
JK
JKDerry

If there was any demand for an online news service from them then they would be providing it. But there isn't so they're not.

It would be nice to have written pieces online, in the same way RTE News, BBC News, ITV News etc provide. Surely it would not be hard for them to provide a properly updated news website, after their boasting about how great their news service is.

Newer posts