TV Home Forum

S4C Breakdown 7th September 2019

(September 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JA
james-2001
There are plenty of far less appropriate threads then this though.

The bilingual apology slide on a station that is 100% Welsh is notable, at least.

They do have English subtitles on most, if not all, of their shows of course. And an English soundtrack on some (mostly sport and events like the Eistedfodd), so they likely have plenty of English speaking viewers.
IS
Inspector Sands

If it’s a small OB I’m surprised it doesn’t have a redundant CNG path. That’s something ESPNs been doing at some of their lower tier games, they can use cellular or bond it with on site Ethernet.

This is S4C though, not a company with oddles of money for resilience. Also I imagine even ESPNs lower tier games are a lot bigger than this match
GE
thegeek Founding member
Yup. A LiveU or MVP may be a cheap and cheerful way to get a backup feed, but when your channel is already run on a shoestring, then even that may be an extravagance on top of the costs for your sat truck.
RK
Rkolsen

If it’s a small OB I’m surprised it doesn’t have a redundant CNG path. That’s something ESPNs been doing at some of their lower tier games, they can use cellular or bond it with on site Ethernet.

This is S4C though, not a company with oddles of money for resilience. Also I imagine even ESPNs lower tier games are a lot bigger than this match

Yup. A LiveU or MVP may be a cheap and cheerful way to get a backup feed, but when your channel is already run on a shoestring, then even that may be an extravagance on top of the costs for your sat truck.

The channels budget is that cheap?
PP
Po6xyPop77
I bet the breakdown was more interesting than the actual match! Laughing (I did football as a little girl; I hate it now.)
Last edited by Po6xyPop77 on 10 September 2019 7:41am
GE
thegeek Founding member
The channels budget is that cheap?
About £80m. Their annual report says the average cost of a sport production is about £28k per hour, though I'd imagine that's skewed in one direction by the rights cost of higher-profile events (where they might be just doing a gallery wrap, so with cheaper production) versus cheaper rights for the likes of Welsh-language coverage of the Tunnock's Caramel Wafer Challenge Cup where they have to mount a full OB.
WH
Whataday Founding member
Tunnock's Caramel Wafer Challenge Cup

I can't believe that's an actual thing. Hilarious.
MA
Markymark

I think it qualifies as an 'Accidental Partridge'
GE
thegeek Founding member

The match which was the original subject of this thread was in that competition. Despite being the Scottish Challenge Cup, teams from other nations are invited too. One of Wales's teams is TNS, whose home ground is in England, and one of England's representatives is Wrexham, who are, of course, Welsh. Carnage.
SW
Steve Williams
One of Wales's teams is TNS, whose home ground is in England, and one of England's representatives is Wrexham, who are, of course, Welsh. Carnage.

Having attended their match against Ayr this weekend, I am quite excited about Wrexham going far in this competition without ever going to Scotland at all. Bring on St Mirren B!

Newer posts