TV Home Forum

Challenge - June 2016 onwards

#ChallengeAccepted (June 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JK
JKDerry
Are Challenge going back to October 31st 2005 when Deal started and going to air from series one onward? The first 66 episodes of the first series of Deal look a bit different to the rest I remember. I remember Noel saying in the first batch of shows, they did not bother to colour the amounts inside the boxes red or blue, it was just a white backdrop with the amount on it in black writing. That changed when they announced the show would continue beyond the first 66 episode batch.
AS
AS 21
Yes, they will be.
Are Challenge going back to October 31st 2005 when Deal started and going to air from series one onward? The first 66 episodes of the first series of Deal look a bit different to the rest I remember. I remember Noel saying in the first batch of shows, they did not bother to colour the amounts inside the boxes red or blue, it was just a white backdrop with the amount on it in black writing. That changed when they announced the show would continue beyond the first 66 episode batch.
JJ
Juicy Joe Founding member
Can't see The Weakest Link lasting long really in that slot. Just doesn't tick enough boxes and suspect Anne's approach has dated quite badly.

It lasted for almost 12 years on the BBC so I hope it will get better ratings than constant repeats of The Chase, Pointless and Bullseye.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Can't see The Weakest Link lasting long really in that slot. Just doesn't tick enough boxes and suspect Anne's approach has dated quite badly.

It lasted for almost 12 years on the BBC so I hope it will get better ratings than constant repeats of The Chase, Pointless and Bullseye.

Longevity on its home channel doesn't guarantee ratings success on Challenge.
Crystal Maze used to rate relatively well at 6pm but now only seems to appear for about six episodes at a time now before it vanishes and restarts a few months later, seems they can't decide whether to commit to a full 78 episode run on Challenge (but I notice it has now resurfaced on Sky 2 instead).
CA
Capybara
AS 21 posted:
In other news Deal Or No Deal returns to Challenge again at 4am on Tuesday
Don’t get why they have Teleshopping at 6 though.

Much the same as anything else that airs on a commercial channel - to make money.
Contrary to popular belief TV channels don't run because its a nice thing to do and provide entertainment for people to slump on their sofas in front of of, they are businesses at the end of the day after all. Any business that doesn't make money won't last very long, and TV channels aren't cheap to run, even those that get on air through automated play out systems.

Would it be viable to have a channel that shows teleshopping during the day and shows programming through the night?
NJ
AS 21 posted:
In other news Deal Or No Deal returns to Challenge again at 4am on Tuesday
Don’t get why they have Teleshopping at 6 though.

Much the same as anything else that airs on a commercial channel - to make money.
Contrary to popular belief TV channels don't run because its a nice thing to do and provide entertainment for people to slump on their sofas in front of of, they are businesses at the end of the day after all. Any business that doesn't make money won't last very long, and TV channels aren't cheap to run, even those that get on air through automated play out systems.

Would it be viable to have a channel that shows teleshopping during the day and shows programming through the night?

See section 8, in particular 8.1.1(B) and 8.1.2(B):
https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0020/16328/rules.pdf

Considering ITV, easily the biggest PSB channel going, has decided to effectively farm its wee small hours out to Ideal World, it may suggest just how much revenue there is (or isn't) at that time of night.

10 days later

JJ
Juicy Joe Founding member
Refreshing to see The Weakest Link on Challenge tonight!! Certainly hasn't lost any of it's appeal. I hope it does well!
DV
dvboy
There was even a trailer for it on Sky News at the weekend
:-(
A former member
That trail is still been going on Sky news all day today.
NJ
The trailer's been on for quite a few days on Sky News. Wasn't unique to the weekend, saw it at various points last week.

Always loved the music beds on Weakest Link, lovely atmospheric music.
Gary Baldy and Juicy Joe gave kudos
GB
Gary Baldy
The trailer's been on for quite a few days on Sky News. Wasn't unique to the weekend, saw it at various points last week.

Weakest Link will always be one of the most important game shows of all time, second only to Millionaire.
JO
Jon

Weakest Link will always be one of the most important game shows of all time, second only to Millionaire.

I’m not sure I agree with that. Internationally it was a bit of a flop in comparison to Millionaire which it was rather riding on the coattails of. It’s hard to see what elements of The Weakest Link, that weren’t present in Millionaire have been carried on to others shows to this day. Perhaps you could point to the Chase to some extent.

I have enjoyed the repeats on Challenge and at least the episodes are from the better later era of the show.

Newer posts