« Topics
JKDerry1,805 posts since 15 Oct 2016
UTV Newsline

it means Elstree Studio D is their election hub, and I think has done very well indeed since their first election night there in 2015.

Yes it seems to work well and it's certainly had a lot more use than they thought it would!

Indeed, 2015 election, 2016 referendum, 2017 election - it has coped well. Indeed their election set has remain largely the same since they moved their, even going back to 2010, it is just the same set, but re-jigged a bit each time. Good use of money by the BBC there.
Ne1L C1,055 posts since 11 Sep 2011
To pick up on the point made about the media failing to get to the root of this problem, I agree entirely and it is partly what led us to the outcome of the 2016 referendum. The modern media are far too concerned with creating entertaining news coverage whereby personalities are central to their coverage. They seem to think that a string of politicians and Westminster village types being paraded in front of the camera is enough.

I would argue that they really should be providing a great deal more contextual and analytical information. Although such reporting would probably be quite dull, it is vital to create an informed public. And in turn, an informed public leads to more responsible voting. Although the politicians are hugely to blame for their conduct over the past decade or so, probably from the expenses scandal onward, I don't think the media is entirely blameless in creating an uninformed and polarised populace.

Well said. Politics is regards by many as a "yawn" subject and as a result many shy away from it. This has in my opinion allowed the media to in some ways treat the public as either apathetic or cretins.

This is Wrong . As taxpayers and voters we have a right to know how the political system works in the country. The current Brexit hoo-ha and the constitutional crisis makes that even more evident. I firmly believe that the BBC, ITV and Sky should take a long, hard look at their coverage of politics and make a lot of fundamental changes.
msim gave kudos
Brekkie31,803 posts since 4 Jan 2003 Banned for 1 week
HTV Wales Wales Today
Re: Studio D. Could be an issue if the election is mid-November as they usually use it for Children in Need. I'd assume though the BBC has been on Election/Referendum standby pretty much continuously over the last couple of years.
I preferred the internet when it had a sense of humour.
Hatton Cross3,265 posts since 4 Jan 2003
Central (West) Midlands Today
Glad I'm not the only one whose given a little bit of thought to General Election timings, and the availabillity of Elstree Studio D! Even if they cut out some of the gimzo's - it's still a week long set and data infrastructure build isn't it?

I suspect CiN may end up in TC1 if there is a clash.
I'm sure Bake Off Extra Slice will be done by then (that's recorded on a Saturday afternoon/early evening) so presumably the 'get out' for the BBC is if Studio D is needed, and TC1 is pressed into action for the charity bucket wavers, then existing bookings for those studios can be booted out and fitted into BBC Studioworks Stages 6 or 8 at Elstree Studios
My user name might look like Hatton Cross, but it's pronounced Throatwobbler Mangrove.
Schwing gave kudos
UTV Newsline
Re: Studio D. Could be an issue if the election is mid-November as they usually use it for Children in Need. I'd assume though the BBC has been on Election/Referendum standby pretty much continuously over the last couple of years.

Though CiN was moving back to TVC

Don't think so, as The Last Leg is booked into TC1 for Friday nights from late October until Christmas 2019.
Brekkie gave kudos
UTV Newsline
People think they can simply boot out shows which have booked into these studios months in advance. Wednesday nights in TC1 are now for Jonathan Ross Show until mid December, Thursdays will be for Graham Norton Show and Fridays for the Last Leg. These shows have booked and arranged TC1 with BBC Studioworks probably way back in the Spring, and would mean a lot of money for BBC Studioworks, so they will not be booted out quick just to squeeze in Children in Need etc.