The Newsroom

The Andrew Neil Show

Starts next Wednesday at 7pm on BBC Two (August 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BR
Brekkie
Do wonder if this was a last minute commission to link together the inevitable primetime Politics Live specials which were likely to air as they did in the Spring and early Summer.
JK
JKDerry
Do wonder if this was a last minute commission to link together the inevitable primetime Politics Live specials which were likely to air as they did in the Spring and early Summer.

I said when the programme was announced that it was rushed into production. The signs are all there. The programme probably would have started during the party conference season, but after the complete balls up that Mr Johnson and his government have achieved over the last week, BBC decided most likely to rush it on air, as this would be a great time for Andrew to get his teeth into and rip to shreds the issues and people.
LL
London Lite Founding member
Briefly on Brexitcast, I read today that they're planning to continue to produce the programme from a radio studio rather than use a specific tv studio.

Now don't get me wrong, it's an excellent podcast, one of the BBC's best, but IMHO it's too niche and doesn't really cover other political issues at Westminster in a light hearted style as This Week did.

Andrew Neil's new show goes some way to filling the void left of an accessible politics show, but going by Wednesday's edition is far too vanilla.
MD
mdtauk
The TWiT Podcast network does well having an Audio first approach, but producing video.

And until Brexit is settled, Brexit is the only real political situation. The podcast can continue but rename. Beyond Brexitcast
LL
London Lite Founding member

And until Brexit is settled, Brexit is the only real political situation. The podcast can continue but rename. Beyond Brexitcast

There have been other political issues which haven't got anywhere near the coverage Brexit (or even the hurricane) have received this week, such as concerns over funding over domestic violence shelters. But you won't find any coverage if any on mainstream tv as they cover Brexit.
MD
mdtauk

There have been other political issues which haven't got anywhere near the coverage Brexit (or even the hurricane) have received this week, such as concerns over funding over domestic violence shelters. But you won't find any coverage if any on mainstream tv as they cover Brexit.

I agree (I can't wait until brexit is no longer a consideration) but its about priorities on the news agenda, and Brexit suffocates everything else.
:-(
A former member
The member requested removal of this post
japitts and Night Thoughts gave kudos
NE
Newsroom
I think the intention is to have studio based interviews, but obviously given the events of yesterday they had to be prerecorded DTL interviews from the Lobby.

Saying that, if the little interview with Laura K on yesterday's programme is anything to go by, the desk format really doesn't work for an interview based programme . Having the interviewee on a desk chair plonked on its own, next to Andrew's desk just looks messy and cheap. A coffee table and sofa would have looked much better.

This looks more like Kuenssberg is being interviewed for the job of BBC political editor by her potential boss rather than actually doing the job of political editor with her BBC colleague.

LOL! She is way too far away from the desk. Looks ridiculous.
RK
Rkolsen
I think they’re going for the Fox News look, where the legs are shown.
GR
griffinuk

Don't forget, even once the date that we do/do not leave the EU has finally been resolved, there will still be plenty of "Brexit" coverage to follow.

If we do leave, there then starts the political wrangling over the political declaration, trade deals, and the NI border issue.

If we don't leave, there will be the brexiteer fall out that will hound whoever is in Government at that time and the almost certain "Farage effect".

Brexit is by no means over once the deal/no deal saga comes to a conclusion!!
ST
Stuart
Brexit is by no means over once the deal/no deal saga comes to a conclusion!!

Indeed, this soap opera will continue for a long time. EastEnders will probably end up on BBC THREE, and Politics Live moved to BBC ONE primetime. Very Happy
WL
W1LL
The set isn't looking too bad this week. They've found a rostrum, some LED strip lights and a proper chair for the interviewee.

Newer posts