The Newsroom

The Andrew Neil Show

Starts next Wednesday at 7pm on BBC Two (August 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MD
mdtauk
Maybe it was the earlier than planned launch, but it was a very dull show, on a very electric and busy night of politics.
NE
Newsroom
The set has a nice backdrop but that desk is ugly.

The whole show appeared to be thrown together without much thought. It was dire. That desk looks like it was shipped over from the USA, 80's.

Load of rubbish and money or pennies not well spent.
LL
London Lite Founding member
Did seem a rush job. Andrew behind a desk while guests on full show.

I can understand why they don't want a carbon copy of This Week, but to go to a clinical set doesn't work for me.
MD
mdtauk
I believe the Desk is the central part of the Politics Live desk, with the two wings removed. It would explain the black elevated area to the right, where Laura was sat
GR
griffinuk
Did seem a rush job. Andrew behind a desk while guests on full show.

I can understand why they don't want a carbon copy of This Week, but to go to a clinical set doesn't work for me.

I think it should have been pretty much an exact carbon copy of This Week. With all the political goings-on, a not-news-show style of analysing it is going to be sorely missed.

This Week was a format that just simply won't be replicated again, which is a very real shame.
ST
Stuart
That was also my original thought, but comparing the two, I don't think that is the case.

I think that perhaps perspex-topped desks are the only kind now available from "TV set desk manufacturers"

MD
mdtauk
Andrew does better when not solo.

Brexitcast will be the more light hearted, insiders take on the political happenings, full of geeky and "westminster bubble" discussion.

Andrew's show should be putting today's events into context, with past political figures, and hard hitting interviews with politicians. There should always be a guest throughout the show, and the Interviews be one on one. And it should be a 45-60 min run time, with maybe a HardTalk style interview in the final 30mins.
:-(
A former member
Brexitcast will be the more light hearted, insiders take on the political happenings, full of geeky and "westminster bubble" discussion.

Can’t think of anything worse.
AJ
AJB39
Brexitcast is brilliant though. It’s the only good thing to have come or that will come from Brexit.
neonemesis and Whataday gave kudos
WL
W1LL
I think the intention is to have studio based interviews, but obviously given the events of yesterday they had to be prerecorded DTL interviews from the Lobby.

Saying that, if the little interview with Laura K on yesterday's programme is anything to go by, the desk format really doesn't work for an interview based programme. Having the interviewee on a desk chair plonked on its own, next to Andrew's desk just looks messy and cheap. A coffee table and sofa would have looked much better.
IT
itsrobert Founding member
I didn't see the programme on TV but going by that screenshot, it looks dreadful. That set is dire - it looks as though she's in trouble with her boss.
PA
Parker
The programme has no style. It needs to settle down quickly - and the set needs some serious work.

Newer posts