« Topics
Rkolsen2,803 posts since 20 Jan 2014
BBC World News
Someone tried to explain the HD SD thing to me once and it didn't make much sense.

Something to do with the camera that provides the image of the clock in the chamber, which is what they cut to before coverage starts and whenever proceedings have to be suddenly stopped. Because there's an issue with making the HD, none of the others can be switched to HD yet

As you can tell I didn't quite get it

Okay, as a foreigner whats the clock? Is it just a camera showing a clock in the chamber to avoid anything else being shown? I'd assume its similar to the static cameras that are shown during votes in the US Senate and House of Representatives where during votes there's a static shot of the risers with the vote count being tallied on screen.

I only put this question here in this thread because it relates loosely to parliament.
Don’t let anyone treat you like you’re a VO/SOT when you’re a PKG.
BBC World News
It's literally that one of the cameras does a slow zoom into the clock in the chamber.

So just as a place holder instead of an empty chamber?

Also, Jon Sopel I feel like has appeared more frequently on MSNBC the past few days compared to being on his own networks. He’s on All In with Chris Hayes right now. Surprised they haven’t offered him a contributor contract (basically he aside from the BBC networks cannot appear on anything other than NBCU properties) like Katty Kay.
Inspector Sands13,762 posts since 25 Aug 2004
Yes doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I just wonder whether the basic "world feed" of the Commons is produced using a very simple mixer - or even just a router?

Or possibly the clock feed is inserted downstream of the mixer (under control of the House authorities perhaps) and it's the switching mechanism that can't cope with mixed resolution feeds?

I think it's the latter. That sounds familiar and plausible

There's no 'basic world feed' of the commons or Lords or any committee room, everyone gets the same thing. It's done in a gallery
welshkid146 posts since 10 Nov 2003
HTV Wales Wales Today
Someone tried to explain the HD SD thing to me once and it didn't make much sense.

Something to do with the camera that provides the image of the clock in the chamber, which is what they cut to before coverage starts and whenever proceedings have to be suddenly stopped. Because there's an issue with making the HD, none of the others can be switched to HD yet

As you can tell I didn't quite get it

Okay, as a foreigner whats the clock? Is it just a camera showing a clock in the chamber to avoid anything else being shown? I'd assume its similar to the static cameras that are shown during votes in the US Senate and House of Representatives where during votes there's a static shot of the risers with the vote count being tallied on screen.

I only put this question here in this thread because it relates loosely to parliament.

Another example here - which is the water leak. It shows how they will sometimes cut to it direct, usually if something unexpected happens, but also it shows how a planned events the camera will slowly zoom to it directly above the speakers chair

Neil Jones5,417 posts since 23 Dec 2001
Central (West) Midlands Today
The two shots of the clock at 2:27 and 3:00 on the above video are not the same, there is a slight variation in the positioning. At 2:27 it looks slap bang in the middle of the frame all the way round, at 3:00 its slightly off centre after the camera's moved, but it looks like from the visuals it is the same camera.

I was going to say it seems to take 15 seconds for the pan to get into position but IIRC when they did that vote that required suspension it was called and the gap between the Speaker and the clock appearing wasn't anywhere near 15 seconds. But of course the camera probably can move faster than the show-for-effect we see at the end of a session.
welshkid gave kudos
noggin14,440 posts since 26 Jun 2001

I was going to say it seems to take 15 seconds for the pan to get into position but IIRC when they did that vote that required suspension it was called and the gap between the Speaker and the clock appearing wasn't anywhere near 15 seconds. But of course the camera probably can move faster than the show-for-effect we see at the end of a session.

Most camera remote systems will re-position differently based on whether they are on-air or off-air (with tally/red light interlock), and/or when manually configured.

When in off-air mode (or CUT mode I think it was called on Radamec - now Shotoku) - the camera will reposition as quickly as possible to the shot being recalled with no consideration for the aesthetics of the move. When in on-air mode (or FADE on some systems even when being operated without red light/tally interlock) the camera will do a nice smooth re-frame over a longer period (which can also be user modified) suitable for being seen on-air.
BBC World News

Most camera remote systems will re-position differently based on whether they are on-air or off-air (with tally/red light interlock), and/or when manually configured.

When in off-air mode (or CUT mode I think it was called on Radamec - now Shotoku) - the camera will reposition as quickly as possible to the shot being recalled with no consideration for the aesthetics of the move. When in on-air mode (or FADE on some systems even when being operated without red light/tally interlock) the camera will do a nice smooth re-frame over a longer period (which can also be user modified) suitable for being seen on-air.

Radamec is now Vinten.

Also could someone explain to me if the opposition now has more members than the government why isn’t Jeremy Corbyn the PM? Is it because it wasn’t a result of an election year?
all new Phil3,218 posts since 12 Feb 2005
Granada North West Today

Radamec is now Vinten.

Also could someone explain to me if the opposition now has more members than the government why isn’t Jeremy Corbyn the PM? Is it because it wasn’t a result of an election year?

Corbyn wouldn’t have the confidence of a majority of MPs - certainly less so than Johnson. Although he seems to be testing that to its limit right now.
I love lamp
AphroMan7 posts since 27 May 2019
London London

Radamec is now Vinten.

Corbyn wouldn’t have the confidence of a majority of MPs - certainly less so than Johnson. Although he seems to be testing that to its limit right now.

Also the Lib Dems (who have 16 MPs) have said they would not support Corbyn as leader.