TV Home Forum

30th Anniversary of ITV 1989 presentation

GET READY>>>> (September 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
GM
Gary McEwan
I watched the ITV In The Face: Scotland and it begs the question, were Grampian actually that skint in the 90s that they kept David Dundas for a whole decade?

As for Scottish and the Thistle. That was used on literally everything, from idents, promos and the opening titles of Scotland Today from 1993 to 1997 and again from 1997 to 1999.
:-(
A former member
Some of the stuff he say is clearly for entertainment value, and he very liberal with his facts.

Grampian were not that broke, he was told umpteen times why Grampian kept that ident.. Grampian used invision CA for nearly every single junction. The ident was only ever seen going into the News. Thus it was 3 times a day if your very very lucky, and even then you might get a clock instead. Central mainly used its versions of the ITV ident going into the news. Why waste the money on a new ident which wouldn't get used that much, when you already had a good ident prefect for the job.
JA
JAS84
Yeah, makes sense that they only made a new one when they found out about the 1998 ITV logo.
A former member
Actually Scottish got rid of invision during the summer 1998 and created a new black idents to help fill the gap, ie it operated along side the 89 ident.
SC
Si-Co
Jacq posted:
At the time, I lived in the Border region, and I remember the Border logo that sits in the V, but I don't remember the ITV logo.

I was only little, though, so I wouldn't trust my memory too much. I'm mainly remembering it from Border Birthdays.

In the early 90s, Border actually made their own idents using versions of the 1989 ITV logo as seen in promos - and used them alongside the original 1989 ident.

The logo itself is fairly timeless and wasn't bettered by them until the current one was introduced. It wasn't that flexible, though the best adaptation of it was one Christmas when the triangle in the V was turned upside down and turned into a Christmas tree.

When Thames unveiled its second triangular logo in around 1991, they incorporated triangles into other elements of presentation and local news titles and sets. In hindsight, ITV could have made more use of the triangular ‘V’ in a similar way in 1989 - if the technology was there, promos could have used the V in a similar way to the “dot” in 2013, with the filmed content appearing and disappearing into the V, or the V showing an element of the programme being promoted.

Actually Scottish got rid of invision during the summer 1998 and created a new black idents to help fill the gap, ie it operated along side the 89 ident.

Did Grampian discontinue or reduce IVC when their 1998 logo was introduced? I remember seeing the saltaire quite a bit when I visited the Highlands in the late 90s.
A former member
Scottish brought Grampian in 1997, and in summer 98 got rid of invison. This should clear things up.
SC
Si-Co
Scottish brought Grampian in 1997, and in summer 98 got rid of invison. This should clear things up.

So for a short while between the axing of IVC on GPN and the launch of their new ident, the 1989 generic logo would have been used in most junctions?
IS
Inspector Sands
Si-Co posted:

When Thames unveiled its second triangular logo in around 1991, they incorporated triangles into other elements of presentation and local news titles and sets.

The orange triangle was introduced for their 21st celebrations in July 1989 and then used in the first ITV logo from Sept '89. They changed to the simplfied blue triangle logo exactly a year later in September 1990

It was the company logo and was put onto buildings etc, and yes programmes like Thames News and Thames Help all got triangular logos too. It was also in Sept 1990 that they introduced a non-ITV ident for regional programmes. This was the one that replaced the ITV ident once they lost their license bid, although IIRC it had different music

Incidently the rest of the package they introduced after the license loss was very nice and didn't look like a rush job despite appearing on air only a couple of weeks afterwards. I wonder if they planned to ditch the ITV branding at some point anyway?
A former member
Si-Co posted:

So for a short while between the axing of IVC on GPN and the launch of their new ident, the 1989 generic logo would have been used in most junctions?

No, because a new simple black ident was introduced, around the same time, which we believe appear earlier in the year Ie this:

The orange triangle was introduced for their 21st celebrations in July 1989 and then used in the first ITV logo from Sept '89. They changed to the simplified blue triangle logo exactly a year later in September 1990

It was the company logo and was put onto buildings etc, and yes programmes like Thames News and Thames Help all got triangular logos too. It was also in Sept 1990 that they introduced a non-ITV ident for regional programmes. This was the one that replaced the ITV ident once they lost their license bid, although IIRC it had different music

Incidentally the rest of the package they introduced after the license loss was very nice and didn't look like a rush job despite appearing on air only a couple of weeks afterwards. I wonder if they planned to ditch the ITV branding at some point anyway?

So nice to see someone else on the ball. We think it's the 24th July it come in, and we think its the 4th November when the generic look was ditched , I think your right there were planning on ditching the generic look what ever happened.
Last edited by A former member on 4 September 2019 9:44am
IS
Inspector Sands

So nice to see someone else on the ball. We think it's the 24th July it come in, and we think its the 4th November when the generic look was ditched , I think your right there were planning on ditching the generic look what ever happened.

Sounds about right. The orange logo was only seen as an ident with Thames XXI on it and they used that all the way through August until the new ITV logo came in. The only place it appeared by itself without the XXI was on production endcaps for that year
ToasterMan and Lou Scannon gave kudos

Newer posts