« Topics
Sh1ruba282 posts since 13 Jan 2019 Recently warned
Central (West) Midlands Today

Are you happy now? I'm not really a fan of the II! logo.
Plus, if the whole BBC network of channels was rebranded, it would make no sense that BBC3 would be left out.

You don't have to be so rude about it though. Rolling Eyes

Much better Very Happy

Sorry for being rude but I do admit your original idea for BBC Three was a bit naff and unsuitable for its youth audience and the fact that it's only on the web now. So if the BBC did rebrand, they probably keep the II! logo.
Capybara54 posts since 24 Jul 2018
Granada North West Today
In Sh1ruba's original request they wrote
Have you thought of any ideas for the BBC's radio stations and how they might look?
Cos I was thinking the "BBC Radio" logo would be at the top of the icon.
Also I still think BBC Three should be keeping their II! icon...

and then referred to this in the post where he quoted the radio logos.
Aspiring continuity announcer.
In Sh1ruba's original request they wrote
Have you thought of any ideas for the BBC's radio stations and how they might look?
Cos I was thinking the "BBC Radio" logo would be at the top of the icon.
Also I still think BBC Three should be keeping their II! icon...

and then referred to this in the post where he quoted the radio logos.

That's right. I was referring to BBC Three.

JetixFann's design for BBC Three with just the number 3 didn't suit its now-digital remit and youth audience which is why I thought the II! icon would be better off staying for BBC Three as it's on the web now.
Even though he doesn't like that, a number 3 in a pink square is just not BBC Three-ish, is it?
JetixFann450598 posts since 25 Mar 2013
STV Central Reporting Scotland
While I was watching other European channel branding and idents, I decided to come up with this styling of promoboard, which I based off BBC One. I may also create an animated version later but this is the design I've come up with. I've also included the dimensions and pixel locations of each graphic.

To properly show off the graphics on promos, here are some examples:

Do you even read these?
KELGE, Josiah. and 4 others
  • Capybara
  • UBox
  • Sh1ruba
  • lukeshep
gave kudos
While I was watching other European channel branding and idents, I decided to come up with this styling of promoboard, which I based off BBC One. I may also create an animated version later but this is the design I've come up with. I've also included the dimensions and pixel locations of each graphic.

To properly show off the graphics on promos, here are some examples:

Not bad, very clear and simple.
Brekkie31,804 posts since 4 Jan 2003 Recently warned
HTV Wales Wales Today
There is a lot in these I really want to like and I always like to see a mock develop on these forums. However there is just something just not quite right with them to be suitable for the BBC - they're probably a bit too "in your face" and just not quite polished enough. I wonder if it might be exploring your 1 logo idea but with a different interpretation of the 1 to see if that makes a difference.
I preferred the internet when it had a sense of humour.
lukeshep, JetixFann450 and 3 others
  • ittrgrey
  • UBox
  • AxG
gave kudos
There is a lot in these I really want to like and I always like to see a mock develop on these forums. However there is just something just not quite right with them to be suitable for the BBC - they're probably a bit too "in your face" and just not quite polished enough. I wonder if it might be exploring your 1 logo idea but with a different interpretation of the 1 to see if that makes a difference.

I had originally posted this on Page 2, since these were the original explorations of the symbol. I don't know which one would be better utilized.
Do you even read these?
TPLX gave kudos
No offence, but I dislike this. It needs more ‘personality’.

It's not about how simple the branding is, but more so how you're able to distinguish the channel. The logo should not be complex but still remembered by the audience and the presentation (red elements in backgrounds and idents) should still give you a hint of what channel you're watching. Personality would come from the channel's idents and pres themselves.

Full respect to you for perservering with these. It's nice to see somebody listening to comments and criticism and working to improve on what they've done.

I'm always trying to develop on my ideas and help keep the BBC up-to-date with a system that works on different platforms regardless of device. Support is well appreciated in further developing my ideas.

I have tried to base my branding off other European channels, since those channels can keep a styling of their networks without having to risk alienating the viewer and confusing the public eye. Consistency is key to helping the viewer figure out what network shows are on or what they are currently watching.

For example, NPO keeps their design consistent by using the "square" design on their networks and radio stations, so people know they're watching or listening to NPO through the elements and backgrounds used on their networks and don't risk changing elements for the sake of promoting shows or events, which keeps the branding flow correctly in different medias.

Or even SRF, which uses a symbol and design to keep viewers engaged with the bladed 1. Each ident tries to tell a story rather than just pointing a camera at a landmark and calling it a day, as well as trying to invoke the sense of community in each and every one of them.

There are definitely flaws in BBC's current branding system, most definitely in BBC One, the main channel. Oneness, while trying to involve the community, doesn't say anything about the channel itself compared to BBC Two, which uses the curve to keep presentation flowing and making new idents to make it less boring to watch. Presentation feels slow and drab and never tries to show a personality to the channel and it's shows.
Do you even read these?
Rexogamer, lukeshep and 3 others
  • Josiah.
  • Josh
  • Colorband
gave kudos
So I decided to create a new menu design based off the design principle I had made previously in this thread.

While I do think the menu is quite smooth, it does need some work for it to work primetime. For example, when the menu is switching between BBC2 and BBC3, there's a slight error made during the animation between them at the bottom of the icon. I will try to fix it as I can.
Do you even read these?
Josiah., Lynetwork and 2 others
  • lukeshep
  • Sh1ruba
gave kudos