The Newsroom

Newsnight

(September 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
PA
PATV Scunthorpe
Everything looks okay, the lower thirds so far look nice with the subtle background particles animated, but I always think its quite lazy when graphics are animated on but are then just faded off
harshy and gordonthegopher gave kudos
CH
chris
I really like it, perhaps because I never really warmed to the funny lights flying out of central London look.
PE
Pete Founding member
chris posted:
I really like it, perhaps because I never really warmed to the funny lights flying out of central London look.

I remember when they first were shown, I thought the team must have been so busy with the move from TV Centre that they hadn't had time to finish the titles and the real ones would arrive the next week... they never did. This is far superior.
HA
harshy Founding member
Yeah I don’t like the lower thirds, out of all the Reith looks it’s only BBC Scotland that have come up with the best graphics using Reith.
BB
BBI45
RD
rdd Founding member
And closing credits too, though they missed the first few bars of the theme.
JA
JAS84

If this is what they're going for then I'm sorry I really dislike it. But I'll hold full judgement until the full launch.

The two intersecting N's just look odd to me. They have pointed ends where the Newsnight font doesn't, just looks a bit disjointed. I also read it like AV as much a NN. Having the N's in the middle breaks the title up and makes it read as "News Night" but as far as I can tell it's still "Newsnight".
The very first Newsnight logo had the name on two lines... you can see it on the bottom left of that screenshot.
RD
RDJ
I felt in some places the magenta and cyan lights in the studio were too bright, didn't really suit it when the rest of the studio is dimly lit.

The revised theme is great, though I was a bit disappointed that it seems the opening and closing theme appear to be the same.

And a rarity for the BBC logo not to be on the closing caption, just the copyright text. That felt quite 80's to me as I've not seen that in a long time.
MO
Moz
I don't mind the logo - but the way it forms up and animates in the lower thirds is awful.

And the lower thirds themselves... just horrible. Nothing like anything else on BBC News. There was so much scope for them to do their own take on either the BBC News lower thirds, or those of The Nine. But no. And it's already been said about - swipe in and fade off is a PowerPoint effect, not something I expect from BBC News.
PA
Parker
Its a good look and it will settle in.
WH
Whataday Founding member
I don't think the title graphics are fluid enough. The magenta and cyan lines overlaid on the footage move so slowly they almost look static and then the logo forms up to another static shot. It's all rather clunky.
AS
Asa Admin
The previous titles and theme arrangement were subtle and understated, and really suited the programme.

I think all news shows need be a bit bolder and shoutier with their branding though these days. Not sure about ratings but hasn’t Newsnight been a bit in the doldrums?

The logo looks really good to me and a return to the title/logo staying on after the titles. Not sure if that looked a little messy though with Emily, the guests, the floor logo and on the back screens too in that same shot. Followed very quickly by another fade.

I don’t think that every BBC news show needs to have yet another variation on the standard News template. Let’s allows the graphics team a bit of freedom!

Agree about the endboard, don’t know whether it was a conscious decision but the lack of BBC logo is actually quite refreshing. Nicely old school just with the copyright line.
JosiahStuart, TVLand and London Lite gave kudos

Newer posts