The Newsroom

Newsnight

(September 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NE
Newsroom
I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong, but I’ve always been under the impression that such videos are generally a bit of a fake, as each section of the orchestra is recorded separately, and the full tune doesn’t come together until mixed afterwards.

Probability of the BBC issuing something FAKE is near to nada these days.
MO
Moz
James Mobbs did titles for Newsnight it was on his page weren’t they not gonna use those?

No.
FA
fanoftv
I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong, but I’ve always been under the impression that such videos are generally a bit of a fake, as each section of the orchestra is recorded separately, and the full tune doesn’t come together until mixed afterwards.

Probability of the BBC issuing something FAKE is near to nada these days.

Going off on a tangent, that comment reminded me of this from the old Radio 1 Chris Moyles Show
MO
Moz
Wow, it's not often people use a big studios to created theme music nowadays.

Wow, it's not often people use a big studios⃥ to created⃥ theme music nowadays.
GO
gomedia

If this is what they're going for then I'm sorry I really dislike it. But I'll hold full judgement until the full launch.

The two intersecting N's just look odd to me. They have pointed ends where the Newsnight font doesn't, just looks a bit disjointed. I also read it like AV as much a NN. Having the N's in the middle breaks the title up and makes it read as "News Night" but as far as I can tell it's still "Newsnight".

Also really don't like the sickly magenta and cyan scheme. With the dark blue as well it just looks garish. Where it's in solid white I don't mind it so much. It looks the sort of branding you'd expect on a cheap tabloidy late night chat show. With the neon glow and the gaudy colours next to the solid white text it kind of reminds me of the Late Late Show with James Corden. I expect they've introduced these N's as an icon to use across social media etc, but it also reminds me of the Apple News logo in a way if they just use the N's on their own.

I guess its a mix of the This Week branding and updating to appeal to a cool younger demographic or whatever. But so far.... not sure. Perhaps it will grow on me. The updated theme sounded good to me though so that's something Thumbs up
:-(
A former member
Love it. Lower thirds a bit iffy but great looking titles and studio.
Joe and gordonthegopher gave kudos
MO
Moz
Well that’s just horrible.
RD
rdd Founding member
Think it’s about twenty years since the full opening theme was last used, good to hear it back! (Especially since the full closing theme appears to be a rarer and rarer event).
JosiahStuart, chinamug and BBI45 gave kudos
CR
Critique
Oooh that was nice! Unlike the earlier speculation we actually have a return to full length titles!
RD
rdd Founding member
Also a little speculation on my part - that animated logo on the lower thirds won’t be long for this world, it’ll be swapped for a static one quickly enough. It’s quite annoying already.
BB
BBI45
I can't really decide if I like it or not. The music and studio are good, but I'm not a fan of the graphics, and I have mixed feelings about the titles.

Might just be a case of settling into the changes, but only time will tell.
VM
VMPhil
I don’t like these. For some reason the logo feels like something you’d see on a fake TV show within a TV show. The previous titles and theme arrangement were subtle and understated, and really suited the programme.

Newer posts