The Newsroom

New Meridian, BBC South & South East Thread

(July 2006)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
LS
Lou Scannon
The murder of a Thames Valley Police officer that led the Six was also the top headline on both the Southampton & Oxford editions of South Today. (The police officer was based in Abingdon, Oxfordshire / the murder occurred about 12km southwest of Reading, Berkshire).

Thames Valley Police covers Oxfordshire, Berkshire and Buckinghamshire.

Introduced by Sally Taylor and Jerome Sale from their respective studios, with separate correspondents doing live OBs standing in different spots (probably just a few metres away from each other) near the murder scene in Ufton Nervet, Berkshire.
DE
deejay
I daresay there will be some people who felt this was unnecessary duplication of resources but I would justify it as follows. It happened firmly in Southampton’s Tx area. He was stationed in Oxford’s. The angles for each story were therefore different. Oxford initially we’re going to do a prerecorded sequence with the South reporter (Matt Graveling) using Southampton facilities but as there was a network reporter (ChiChi Izundu) stationed there for much of the day, she was offered to Oxford by way of providing one last live hit.

As a result both editions of South Today got very good live reports, told from their respective editorial angles, from the scene of a truly dreadful story.
MI
m_in_m
I daresay there will be some people who felt this was unnecessary duplication of resources but I would justify it as follows. It happened firmly in Southampton’s Tx area. He was stationed in Oxford’s. The angles for each story were therefore different. Oxford initially we’re going to do a prerecorded sequence with the South reporter (Matt Graveling) using Southampton facilities but as there was a network reporter (ChiChi Izundu) stationed there for much of the day, she was offered to Oxford by way of providing one last live hit.

As a result both editions of South Today got very good live reports, told from their respective editorial angles, from the scene of a truly dreadful story.

So actually there was little to no cost in running them separately. That seems a good use of resource and there seems to be a lot more of this happening now.

I've noticed that whilst Richard Westcott is with BBC Look East in Cambridge as Science and Technology correspondent his reports regularly are being broadcast on Breakfast.
London Lite and Lou Scannon gave kudos
MA
Markymark

In addition homes not that far away from the scene use Oxford for their Freeview reception, notably Pangbourne and Goring and along the Thames into NW Reading, I'm no fan usually of this sort of duplication, but in this instance I think it was fine
LS
Lou Scannon
For the 2015 Shoreham Airshow crash, I'm sure that South Today and South East Today each had seperate correspondents standing a few metres away from each other near the scene of the crash.

Region-stretching on SET's part, surely?
MA
Markymark
For the 2015 Shoreham Airshow crash, I'm sure that South Today and South East Today each had seperate correspondents standing a few metres away from each other near the scene of the crash.

No, Whitehawlk Hill (aka Brighton main relay) is used by a lot in Shoreham, Lancing, and points even further west
LS
Lou Scannon

No, Whitehawlk Hill (aka Brighton main relay) is used by a lot in Shoreham, Lancing, and points even further west

Is that the controversial new name for Wales Today? Laughing
MA
Markymark

Is that the controversial new name for Wales Today? Laughing

Can't find an on line coverage map of Whitehawk Hill TV, but it's broadly the same as the 'Brighton VHF' contour here

http://txlib.mb21.co.uk/main.php?g2_itemId=582

14 days later

LL
London Lite Founding member
What the hell have they done to Inside Out South East? No more location shots with Natalie Graham presenting from the horrendous green screen at TW.
MI
m_in_m
What the hell have they done to Inside Out South East? No more location shots with Natalie Graham presenting from the horrendous green screen at TW.

I saw a brief section of Inside Out East and that was the same - looks like someone has made a decision. Perhaps cost saving.
LS
Lou Scannon
Inside Out West was the same. Sabet Choudhury in front of a chromakey of red & white graphics. No proper full title sequence anymore either, just a short sting punctuating the end of the "coming up this week" rundown.

Presumably every region is like this now.
AG
AxG
East Midlands, and Yorks. & Lincs. the same, but Yorks. & Lincs. had full titles.

Just flicking through, some regions have one type of lower-third, Yorks. & Lincs. had another, South West had another, whilst some had none.
Last edited by AxG on 2 September 2019 9:32pm - 2 times in total

Newer posts