TV Home Forum

The Sport Thread

For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own (July 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BK
bkman1990
Well tbf; I wouldn't have known much about Antione Hubert's career as a motorsport driver. But I did watch a short clip of the crash on YT this evening & I was horrified by the outcome of it. It was just so shocking to see it happen so suddenly. It was like relaying the images of Billy Monger's F3 crash in my head when he lost his legs when he talked about it from his BBC III documentary on BBC Two in January. Yes Billy Monger did survive the crash but Jules Bianchi, who is Charles LeClerc's godfather, didn't have that luxury of surviving his huge F1 accident. He died in his mid 20's. It shows us that competing in something like motorsport is primarily not a safe thing to do when people take part in it as a career when may not fully take stock of the whole surroundings around them when they are out on the race track. If you do something wrong in the sport which has the potential to endanger your life so abruptly; the effect of that pain spreads very rapidly to other people to others who do love you & care for you throughout your whole life.

I watched Steve Jones announcement about Hubert's death just before the end of the highlights coverage on Channel 4 this evening. It just felt like a body blow to him when he was saying it to the TV audience out on camera. He just felt awful about what happened to Antione. He did his best to relay the message to the F1 viewers who had missed the race earlier that day. I do wonder about how the Channel 4 team will handle the reaction of this news tomorrow because, as a mark of respect to Hubert's family & team mates, it has been officially confirmed this evening that the F2 race which was due to take place at Spa tomorrow has been cancelled.

Any thoughts on this guys when you are reading this post?
ST
Ste Founding member
Who produces the world feed of the Wales rugby World Cup warmup matches (shown on C4 in the UK).

Images of graphics below

JO
Jon
I suspect it’s Whisper who produce Channel 4’s rugby and they’ve produced a different feed for international audiences which is in a WRU style and that would explain those replay wipes Brekkie mentioned a few weeks ago.
RD
rdd Founding member
That feed was on the internal monitors at the Principality yesterday but changed to Channel 4 sometime in the first ten minutes for some reason. With a “WRU TV” DOG throughput.
MR
mromega
Jon posted:
I suspect it’s Whisper who produce Channel 4’s rugby and they’ve produced a different feed for international audiences which is in a WRU style and that would explain those replay wipes Brekkie mentioned a few weeks ago.

Sunset+Vine produce the rugby
japitts, bkman1990 and Jon gave kudos
HC
Hatton Cross
It shows us that competing in something like motorsport is primarily not a safe thing to do when people take part in it as a career when may not fully take stock of the whole surroundings around them when they are out on the race track. If you do something wrong in the sport which has the potential to endanger your life so abruptly..
Any thoughts on this guys when you are reading this post?

Motorsport Is dangerous. End of. If it was totally safe, it would loose some of the attraction.

Most 'fairweather' fans, switch off or over after the first couple of corners if there is no smash. Obviously they want to see the drivers unhook the Hans device and climb out unharmed, but a good old fashioned prang is part of the attraction.

Back to yesterday. I've watched the crash that has been uploaded to You Tube with three different language commentaries.

Pictures exactly the same via the FOM world feed, but all three had the commentators shouting that a car had gone off the track (which you bearly saw apart from some tyre smoke) then that another car had hit Huberts stricken Arden car. The picture the cut to the ensuing carnage, and the lowering of the volume levels to concern.

It was like that the commentary teams were watching a different view, whilst the TV world feed stayed with the angle at the top of eau rouge for a couple of seconds longer (and rightly so)

Have to say Alex Jaques, the English FOM world feed commentator did brilliantly yesterday in terrible circumstances and something you can't prepare for.
XI
Xilla
I was watching live and I assumed the commentators reaction of there being a big crash was due to Alesi being seen spinning off towards the nearside-camera barrier as he climbed the hill. There's been loads of big single-car accidents with drivers doing just that over the years.
Last edited by Xilla on 2 September 2019 9:22am
DV
DVB Cornwall
US Open Tennis - AZPV .... I know the weather today is dull in NYC but I'm wondering whether that is the sole explanation for apparent drop in Contrast and Softness in the video today compared to previous days. Admittedly what we've seen so far today has been 'indoors' but......

Any thoughts from those watching?
DV
DVB Cornwall
Freesports is going Live on the STV Player soon.
DV
DVB Cornwall
AZPV Live content seems to have fallen over on at least two platforms (Apple TV and You View checked).
HC
Hatton Cross
Talking of AZPV..
Looks like they are going to be new best friends with Discovery Eurosport.
https://www.rxtvlog.com/2019/09/amazon-to-offer-4k-eurosport-player-on.html?m=1
Guess it'll be a separate subscription, but would be nice to think some events will be free as part of the AZPV subscription.
DV
DVB Cornwall
La Liga longterm deal imminent ....

Newer posts