The Newsroom

The Yorkshire and Lincolnshire Thread

(August 2004)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
IS
Inspector Sands

Is Net North a north version of BBC One?

The BBC use the terms NET1 and NET2 etc to refer to their TV channels (I have seen NET24 for the news channel but I don't think that's common or official). AIUI it normally refers to the pre transmitted version - that is a feed of the network that's un-compressed and not off-air.

Presumably NET NORTH is the output of the region going out of the building to air.
IS
Inspector Sands
You’d probably want to create it manually or else you might get non-programmes like the weather, or the National Lottery update appearing on it.

It probably is automatically generated, I remember them getting such functionality in about 2000. It cut out a heck of a lot of work as before that the director had to type them manually.

The schedule distinguishes between programmes and interstitials anyway (needed for many reasons) so that's not an issue.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Owain Wyn Evans is joining North West Tonight.

Owain Wyn Evans is joining North West Tonight.

Good move for him. Big shoes to fill following the late Dianne Oxberry.

I gather that Kay Crewdson has been covering over the summer.
AN
Andrew Founding member

There was a montage of Owain’s best bits at the end of the Leeds programme, mostly consisting of when he was in his element when he reported on Britney Spears performing at the open air theatre in Scarborough!
NL
Ne1L C
Didn't know he was leaving. He'll be missed.
HA
harshy Founding member

He’s just going over the Pennines not leaving the bbc.
London Lite and Lou Scannon gave kudos
RE
Revitt
Won't be missed.
LS
Lou Scannon

Won't be missed.

I think we can conclude that he'll be variously missed/not missed by different individual viewers, depending on their opinion of him. As would also be true for literally anyone else.
radiolistener and mannewskev gave kudos
RA
radiolistener

Won't be missed.

I think we can conclude that he'll be variously missed/not missed by different individual viewers, depending on their opinion of him. As would also be true for literally anyone else.

And his hair is usually more entertaining than the weather is in the region!

15 days later

RA
radiolistener
Very bizarre report just now on Levy Live about a building in Lincoln, where it was alleged that people were saying was "too clean", yet all the Vox pops were from people saying how lovely it looked, totally contradicting the claim and Uncle Peter's aside about "people complaining it was too clean, there."
TE
Technologist

Strictly speaking that's not Presfax, as it's not generated on Ceefax-era kit. I guess the name has stuck despite an upgrade...

The name Presfax predated the teletext looking version by many years

That only came about when they moved to the Broadcast Centre, prior to that it was a basic black and white terminal type display. All the suites at TVC had teletext look displays called the SSD, but they didn't leave the building as far as I know.

'Presfax' dates back to the days of the manual galleries for NC1 and 2. There was a Presfax Operator who sat in the gallery entering and updating the information

That's right .. it was a terminal which became a BBC micro whuch sent the data over ITS ( think a but like American CC .. two bytes per tv line per field ..
this covered the Next Junction only

With the Network transmission area NTA ( which had automation ) this was replaced with a Datacast ( packetX/31) system which output an 82 charecter per row black and white display which has count downs being the literal value sent over the new ITS for count in or count out of an item. .... this actually was radiated so OBs could use in ( but did not) and likewise was only next junction
The source if the information was a serial line version if the SSD which was interpreted to make it region friendly
Here my memory fails me but I think the same system was used when Digital transmission area became master ...and NTA closed

With the move up the road to the Broadcast Centre the source was a file in the automation, abs so a new sysytem which had a standard teletext display .
This was in a box which had display cards and a "Hump" whuch had a computer card in it

In London the computer read the file, took in timecode and then generated a set of data which included packet 8/30/1 and 8/30/2 PDC as well as a datacast feed for Presfax on a serial line to the metro databridge /inserter.
The Nations worked likewise without the Presfax output and time could be taken from the incoming network feed going into the cards.
The regional display has a countdown based on comparing the time of the event with the incoming packet 8/30/1 and showed all next items on the screen not just next junction
Ie,( I think)next 10 items.

Because these systems used the NET 1/2 feeds for transport , things were always time aligned no matter how long the network path was .... a year or two back with change if automation PResfax was replaced by SSD over IP network route,
HA
harshy Founding member
Whoah the headlines graphic is actually animating like the real thing, still the lower thirds fade on and off though, but its a start! Very Happy

Newer posts