« Topics
VMPhil9,777 posts since 31 Mar 2005
Granada North West Today
News 39 on BBC2 looks interesting, and, as I'm sure many others here would, I’d certainly stay up to watch a classic episode of Closedown. But I’m not sure much else would appeal to me. This is all coming from a 2019 perspective, of course.

What was "Closedown"? Was it just someone sitting there, reading from a book?

Well, I was assuming it was just a normal BBC closedown but making a joke out of it Smile
Inspector Sands and uktvwatcher gave kudos
Ne1L C1,055 posts since 11 Sep 2011
In Ireland, their second national channel RTE 2 launched in November 1978, and their typical programming on a Wednesday in the autumn of 1979 actually look more tempting than BBC1, BBC2 or Channel TV, below is a typical example of what they would have aired:

NB: RTE 2 did not start their weekday broadcasting schedules in 1979 until 6.50pm.

6.50pm Switch On: Community Announcement
7.00pm This Is Your Life (Imported from Thames Television)
7.30pm Coronation Street (imported from Granada Television, and many episodes behind Britain)
8.00pm Star Trek
9.00pm Botanic Man
9.30pm World Week - RTE current affairs show
10.00pm Porridge (BBC sitcom first airing on Irish television)
10.35pm The Dick Emery Show
11.10pm - Newsnight - RTE Late Night News
11.25pm - Night Light, the epilogue
11.30pm - Transmission Ends

Star Trek, Porridge and Dick Emery. Sounds good.
Inspector Sands13,762 posts since 25 Aug 2004
News 39 on BBC2 looks interesting, and, as I'm sure many others here would, I’d certainly stay up to watch a classic episode of Closedown. But I’m not sure much else would appeal to me. This is all coming from a 2019 perspective, of course.

These are from August which was traditionally a scheduling graveyard but old TV schedules rarely look that enticing to modern eyes.

For every Fawlty Towers or Two Ronnie's there's lots of long forgotten shows, cheap imports and dull worthy programmes.
UKnews and VMPhil gave kudos
JKDerry1,805 posts since 15 Oct 2016
UTV Newsline

Well, I was assuming it was just a normal BBC closedown but making a joke out of it Smile

The advertised "Closedown" was said to have Georgine Anderson read from "The Cat about Town" - so I wonder what was the programme, an adult version of Jackanory?
UTV Newsline
I'd say BBC1 looks pretty decent actually.

OK, everyone has their own taste. It seems very dull to me.

Were you actually alive in 1979, it's easy to sneer from 40 years into the future, but back then this was all considered normal family entertainment

I am 34 years old, and I have been talking with my parents and family who were alive back in 1979, and I got their views on the strike and television - one of the little habits you develop when you love history.
Markymark6,959 posts since 13 Dec 2004
Meridian (North) South Today

Were you actually alive in 1979, it's easy to sneer from 40 years into the future, but back then this was all considered normal family entertainment

I am 34 years old, and I have been talking with my parents and family who were alive back in 1979, and I got their views on the strike and television - one of the little habits you develop when you love history.

You're almost a generation younger than me (I'm almost 56), my parents were born in 1930/31, so their perception of what was good/bad/dull/important/trivial will probably differ to yours, and everyone is a product of the environment they grew up in. It's not a criticism at all, just an observation.

Goodness knows what people born today, will make of this current decade !
Si-Co2,155 posts since 2 Oct 2003
Tyne Tees Look North (North East)
In Ireland, their second national channel RTE 2 launched in November 1978, and their typical programming on a Wednesday in the autumn of 1979 actually look more tempting than BBC1, BBC2 or Channel TV, below is a typical example of what they would have aired:

NB: RTE 2 did not start their weekday broadcasting schedules in 1979 until 6.50pm.

6.50pm Switch On: Community Announcement
7.00pm This Is Your Life (Imported from Thames Television)
7.30pm Coronation Street (imported from Granada Television, and many episodes behind Britain)
8.00pm Star Trek
9.00pm Botanic Man
9.30pm World Week - RTE current affairs show
10.00pm Porridge (BBC sitcom first airing on Irish television)
10.35pm The Dick Emery Show
11.10pm - Newsnight - RTE Late Night News
11.25pm - Night Light, the epilogue
11.30pm - Transmission Ends

Botanic Man was a Thames TV natural history series presented by David Bellamy, which was shown in the UK during as part of schools television (possibly as well as appearing elsewhere in the schedule). I guess BBC2 might have shown their version a series like that around 9pm, so not completely out of place on a second channel.
Cut out the coupon in your TV Times!
UTV Newsline
Channel Television on Thursday 30th August 1979:

1.20pm until 1.30pm - Channel News
5.00pm - Puffin
5.05pm - Caii It Macaroni
5.30pm - Lost Islands
6.00pm - Report Extra
7.00pm - Al Oeming: Prairie Zoo
7.30pm - The New Avengers
8.30pm - Film: Lacey and the Mississippi Queen
10.00pm - Channel News
10.05pm - Theatre: Angel Against the Night
11.05pm - News in French and Weather
Ne1L C1,055 posts since 11 Sep 2011
I'd say BBC1 looks pretty decent actually.

We're applying 2019 habits and our embarrassment of riches in terms of choice to a vastly different tv culture. I will admit that the schedule isn't appetisting but I've been spoilt.
Robert Williams700 posts since 25 Jan 2003
London London

The advertised "Closedown" was said to have Georgine Anderson read from "The Cat about Town" - so I wonder what was the programme, an adult version of Jackanory?

A short story or poem read out-of-vision, accompanied by some still images. This type of closedown on BBC2 ran from 1974 until 1979. Here is an example, from 17/03/1977:

jonO, deejay and 2 others
  • TV Fetish
  • Closedown
gave kudos