The Newsroom

The Andrew Neil Show

Starts next Wednesday at 7pm on BBC Two (August 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MO
Moz
Love the logo

Custard56, Brekkie and Lou Scannon gave kudos
VM
VMPhil
I can see what they were trying to do, it’s not a total failure but it doesn’t quite work for me.
CA
Capybara
I can see what they were trying to do, it’s not a total failure but it doesn’t quite work for me.

I agree, this would probably have worked better as a single N for Newsnight.
MD
mdtauk
NE
neonemesis
That BBC Two logo doesn't look right...
Juicy Joe, Warbler and Brekkie gave kudos
TI
TIGHazard
BBC TWO at 7pm next Wednesday is listed as being 'The Repair Shop'.

Which I believe are hour long edits of previous editions - perhaps they'll put the 30 minute editions on afterwards?

Schedule has updated now. You were correct.
JK
JKDerry
So I guess it will be This Week in all but name? The only reason Andrew left This Week, and pulled the whole programme down with him with his exit was that he just found it too late at night. 7pm, up against the might of Emmerdale, The One Show and Channel 4 News - my guess it will fail after a few weeks, unless they can attract a loyal audience at 7pm.

Talk about being negative.

Andrew Neil is widely acknowledged as the best political interviewer around right now.

I can’t see him suddenly becoming a failure overnight.

Explain to me where in my previous statement did I say/predict it would be a failure? I didn't. I like Andrew Neil, and I would have preferred This Week to have continued. Good Luck to Andrew - I hope it works, I just think it would be better in a slightly later slot.
JO
Jon
So I guess it will be This Week in all but name? The only reason Andrew left This Week, and pulled the whole programme down with him with his exit was that he just found it too late at night. 7pm, up against the might of Emmerdale, The One Show and Channel 4 News - my guess it will fail after a few weeks, unless they can attract a loyal audience at 7pm.

Andrew Neil is widely acknowledged as the best political interviewer around right now.

Explain to me where in my previous statement did I say/predict it would be a failure? I didn't. I like Andrew Neil, and I would have preferred This Week to have continued. Good Luck to Andrew - I hope it works, I just think it would be better in a slightly later slot.

Quote:
my guess it will fail after a few weeks, unless they can attract a loyal audience at 7pm.

Also that statement is a bit like saying “it will fail, unless it doesn’t”.
Last edited by Jon on 29 August 2019 7:19pm
LL
London Lite Founding member
At least by keeping Andrew in a evening slot on BBC Two, it resolves the issues when Brexitcast takes over the This Week slot of having an accessible show for politics that isn't skewed towards one political issue.
AN
Andrew Founding member
A bit odd that is just been announced at such short notice, I’m guessing it hasn’t literally just been invented overnight.

Regarding whether or not it will be a success, like most politics shows, it’ll hardly do big numbers but it’s not a big slot for BBC2 anyway.
JK
JKDerry
Jon posted:

Quote:
my guess it will fail after a few weeks, unless they can attract a loyal audience at 7pm.

Also that statement is a bit like saying “it will fail, unless it doesn’t”.

I also said - unless they can attract a loyal audience at 7pm - I never said it will be an utter failure, time will tell if they get an audience, and I want it to succeed, as This Week did, it is just politics at 7pm is not appealing to viewers, with Channel 4 News doing their bit, I suggest a slightly later slot, before 10.00pm would be better.
BR
Brekkie
7-8pm on BBC2 is pretty much a wasteland so perfect for PSB content like this.

Newer posts