The Newsroom

BBC News: Presenters, correspondent & rotas

Split from BBC News: Presenters & Rotas (July 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RN
Rolling News
Has Laura Trevelyan ever co hosted it?
AS
AlexS
Once not that long ago
MF
Matthew_Fieldhouse
Has Laura Trevelyan ever co hosted it?

22 July 2019
BF
BFGArmy
I've probably left it a bit too late for my thoughts with regards to Huw/Sophie & co. but I'll give them anyway.

Of course presenters will have various periods as holiday/leave and that's fair enough and if BBC are happy for Huw & co. to have X time off that's fair enough.

That said it does feel at times that when I tune into national bulletins that more often than not you'll not actually have the 'official bulletin presenter' presenting their shift.
I see more of Ben Brown, Simon McCoy and Reeta Chakrabaati doing the 1 O'Clock News than Sophie these days and similarly even when Huw is around I probably see just as much of Clive and Sophie presenting the News at 10 it as I do Huw. Of course George's unfortunate absences have played a part in that and meant the schedules have had to be jigged around a bit (though I have actually seen him presenting a fair few 6pm bulletins).

Does Clive still do what used to be his regular weekday evening slot on the news channel? Can't say I've seen him doing it often (normally it's somebody like Geeta, Rebecca Jones or A.N Other) but maybe I've just tuned in on weeks he's absent.
MF
Matthew_Fieldhouse
I've probably left it a bit too late for my thoughts with regards to Huw/Sophie & co. but I'll give them anyway.

Of course presenters will have various periods as holiday/leave and that's fair enough and if BBC are happy for Huw & co. to have X time off that's fair enough.

That said it does feel at times that when I tune into national bulletins that more often than not you'll not actually have the 'official bulletin presenter' presenting their shift.
I see more of Ben Brown, Simon McCoy and Reeta Chakrabaati doing the 1 O'Clock News than Sophie these days and similarly even when Huw is around I probably see just as much of Clive and Sophie presenting the News at 10 it as I do Huw. Of course George's unfortunate absences have played a part in that and meant the schedules have had to be jigged around a bit (though I have actually seen him presenting a fair few 6pm bulletins).

Does Clive still do what used to be his regular weekday evening slot on the news channel? Can't say I've seen him doing it often (normally it's somebody like Geeta, Rebecca Jones or A.N Other) but maybe I've just tuned in on weeks he's absent.

Assume Sophie is just a relief presenter for 6 and 10 now, hardly ever does the 1.

Clive never does the evening news channel shift these days. Seems to be hardly any regulars, e.g. Geeta Guru-Murphy, Julien Worricker, Shaun Ley, Lukwesa Burak, Samantha Simmonds, Martine Croxall, Chris Rogers, Ben Brown, Carole Walker, Rachel Schofield, Rebecca Jones, etc.
RN
Rolling News
Sad thing is if every national bulletin and news channel shift was presented by its official presenter at all times it would render the likes of Jane, Reeta and Ben either on reduced hours or virtually redundant. Since they don't have any fixed shifts anymore and are more or less cover presenters (I know Jane does the Five on Fridays and Ben tends to Sundays on the News Channel but it's not like a few years ago when they both had 4 shifts a week on the News Channel).
MF
Matthew_Fieldhouse
Sad thing is if every national bulletin and news channel shift was presented by its official presenter at all times it would render the likes of Jane, Reeta and Ben either on reduced hours or virtually redundant. Since they don't have any fixed shifts anymore and are more or less cover presenters (I know Jane does the Five on Fridays and Ben tends to Sundays on the News Channel but it's not like a few years ago when they both had 4 shifts a week on the News Channel).

Even that hasn't been followed recently, might get back to normal in September.
AS
AlexS

Assume Sophie is just a relief presenter for 6 and 10 now, hardly ever does the 1.

Clive never does the evening news channel shift these days. Seems to be hardly any regulars, e.g. Geeta Guru-Murphy, Julien Worricker, Shaun Ley, Lukwesa Burak, Samantha Simmonds, Martine Croxall, Chris Rogers, Ben Brown, Carole Walker, Rachel Schofield, Rebecca Jones, etc.

Pretty sure Clive has presented at least one evening shift in the past month or two so he may return to it occasionally in the future. On another note George is now likely to be away from the news for several weeks as he spends time on a tour to promote his book so it is unlikely that any stability as to presenters will come in the next few weeks.
MF
Matthew_Fieldhouse
AlexS posted:

Pretty sure Clive has presented at least one evening shift in the past month or two so he may return to it occasionally in the future. On another note George is now likely to be away from the news for several weeks as he spends time on a tour to promote his book so it is unlikely that any stability as to presenters will come in the next few weeks.

He did it 11 times in the last 6 months, most recent 24 July 2019.
EY
the eye
Moz posted:
https://twitter.com/bbcmaryam/status/1162340759309357056?s=21

Maryam's twitter bio suggests she's lead presenter of BBC World News. Wasn't that role once occupied by Nik Gowing? I'm not sure there has been a lead presenter on BBC World News since?

Saying again today. Chief News Presenter. Think she’ll be great.

A chief news presenter doing weekends? Can hardly recall Nik ever doing weekends.
DV
DVB Cornwall
Deleted
Last edited by DVB Cornwall on 30 August 2019 10:46am
MF
Matthew_Fieldhouse
Katty Kay doing something different for a while...

See bottom of last page

Newer posts