The Newsroom

Government to suspend Parliament

Discussion of coverage (August 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NE
Newsroom
I think it was way too noisy for the Six to come from College Green.

That media village will literally be going up as we contribute to this thread. I saw an Owen Jones video encouraging people to go to college green. McCoy was struggling to be heard as he came to the end of his stint.
IT
itsrobert Founding member
I started the thread because I thought I would be worth noting how the news organisations covered what may be unprecedented events.

I think the problem is that nowadays the broadcasters don't really come up with anything new unless the news is absolutely cataclysmic. Gone are the days of a 9/11 thread where we spent at least 20 pages discussing how BBC World had aired its hitherto unheard sombre theme music. There is rarely new presentation that gets an outing and simulcasting has become such the norm that it's not noteworthy. Events like 9/11 led to presentation changes that none of us had ever seen before. Similarly with Diana's death. These days nothing much new happens. Hence why it's probably best to be covered in the mega threads as anything of a political nature ends up veering off course in the current toxic climate.

Surely parliament getting officially prorogued, but an unofficial parliament sitting elsewhere is a cataclysmic event?

160 of our MP's have signed onto this yesterday, even before the announcement, so I could see more signing on now. And it will affect broadcasting in other ways.

a) Can't sit in HoC, so cameras will have to be set up elsewhere. Presumably as an outside source into Millbank.

b) No PMQ's, as it's not official.

c) The rules about 'parliament footage in comedy programmes' might not apply (obviously never been tested)

Something as big as this could get new special pres. Maybe if BBC Parliament is ran from elsewhere - not Millbank - The graphics may be Reithed.

Oh yes, I believe it is a cataclysmic event in British politics. But my point is that it's unusual now for any new TV pres to be revealed short of something like an Election or a Royal death. As big as this news is, it's unlikely to lead to anything new in our remit. Everything on TV today has been pretty much business as usual. Hence why some are suggesting threads like this aren't always necessary.
AS
Asa Admin
Oh I agree about the cataclysm but I stand by my original point of starting the thread to see how resources are used.

I'm sure it was well intentioned but the reality is that very little does change with this kind of event.

It also allows the some of the usual suspects to offer nothing more than political points or sarcasm. If you feel like you're going to do that, don't contribute to the thread. Metropol has a dedicated Brexit topic this way Arrow
NE
Newsroom
Anyway, service as normal on the News Channel. Farming programme. Poor Laura and Katya dragged back for one evening of this.
NL
Ne1L C
Asa posted:
Oh I agree about the cataclysm but I stand by my original point of starting the thread to see how resources are used.

I'm sure it was well intentioned but the reality is that very little does change with this kind of event.

It also allows the some of the usual suspects to offer nothing more than political points or sarcasm. If you feel like you're going to do that, don't contribute to the thread. Metropol has a dedicated Brexit topic this way Arrow

I have no intention of doing politics Very Happy
MA
Markymark

That media village will literally be going up as we contribute to this thread. I saw an Owen Jones video encouraging people to go to college green. McCoy was struggling to be heard as he came to the end of his stint.

C4 News did their programme from the Albert Embankment, which seemed a good idea
BR
Brekkie
Anyway, service as normal on the News Channel. Farming programme. Poor Laura and Katya dragged back for one evening of this.

How long has that farming programme been going or is it's one off? Saw it advertised on Monday and thought it was new. Obviously a purely programming decision completely disconnected from the events and consequences of the real world.

C4 News did their programme from the Albert Embankment, which seemed a good idea

Though of it becomes the norm those people gathering behind news broadcasters just because they want to get on TV will inevitably relocate.
PE
peterh
All Kinds of tv happenings could happen but the situation is so volatile- tv coverage will react so set up just to be ready - can bbc parliament show this as not technically legitimate etc
NL
Ne1L C
All Kinds of tv happenings could happen but the situation is so volatile- tv coverage will react so set up just to be ready - can bbc parliament show this as not technically legitimate etc

I think under the circumstance BBC Parliament will stick to the rules and let BBC News deal with it. There'll probably a ticker tape update on BBC-P to inform viewers that something is happening on BBC-N
BK
bkman1990
On RTÉ's Nine O'Clock News earlier tonight. There was a little problem with the camera shots during a live update from Sean Whelan outside Westminster after his report on today's events was broadcast in the bulletin. The camera was actually swinging around on live TV to get a shot of Sean Whelan when he was about to give his update to Eileen Dunne at Studio 3 in Dublin. The incident lasted for about 3 seconds. I am not sure what caused it though as I have not been reading the news reports about it until I caught the news about Boris Johnson's announcement on the RTÉ News website earlier this evening.
AN
Andrew Founding member
The Ten wasn’t presented live on an OB and wasn’t even extended!
BR
Brekkie
It all seems to have been rather underwhelming really.

Newer posts