The Newsroom

Government to suspend Parliament

Discussion of coverage (August 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NL
Ne1L C
Boris Johnson is to ask the Queen to suspend Parliament.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49493632

Sky and BBC are covering in detail
CA
Capybara
What would happen to BBC Parliament? I would presume they would fill up their schedules with coverage of other parliaments and maybe simulcasts of C-SPAN?
BR
Brekkie
What would happen to BBC Parliament? I would presume they would fill up their schedules with coverage of other parliaments and maybe simulcasts of C-SPAN?

That's the least of our worries.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member

Pretty much what they do during the summer break, I'd have thought - repeats of events gone by and the occasional C-Span simulcast.

While BBC Parliament's need is to carry coverage from the two houses, it does not cease to exist just because Parliament gets suspended. Indeed it goes off and covers the conference season for a start and other things.
DA
davidhorman

That's the least of our worries.

This is TVForum, though.
TE
tesandco Founding member
For those interested on how BBC World News were covering things earlier, they were dropping in and out of the domestic feed quite a bit earlier. Although the news was already breaking by then, World still continued airing the scheduled repeat of Hardtalk at 9.30, before dropping out of it to join into the end of the 9am news 15 minutes later.

They dropped back briefly to the GMT studio for the TOTH at 10am, before rejoining a simulcast of Victoria Derbyshire for only the first 15 minutes. Always fun seeing VD cope during instances like this. They do try very hard to cover the breaking news (and to be fair stuck with it entirely during the first 15 minute simulcast part from what I saw). But then they still have to jump away in a very awkward manner to get in their pre-planned pieces as they've promoted them so much in advance. World continued as normal from 10.15 onwards (which personally I think BBC News could have benefitted from simulcasting the other way for those who wanted the continued coverage, leaving BBC Two to just run with Victoria Derbyshire). Both channels seemed to join up again at 11am.
JW
JamesWorldNews
Victoria Derbyshire with JoGo though. So, it was quite ok.
NE
Newsroom
I'm sure the BBC's senior political team are packing their bags, cutting their holidays short and are heading back to London.

Laura Kuenssberg tweeting 'That’s the end of the summer then...'
AndrewPSSP and AJB39 gave kudos
JW
JamesWorldNews
I'm sure the BBC's senior political team are packing their bags, cutting their holidays short and are heading back to London.

You are probably correct, Newsroom.

Given the slightly different constitutional implications of this action, it would be interesting if the main anchors anchored from Balmoral for a change, and give College Green a well-earned 'breather'.............

.........a slightly different angle than the norm!
TI
TIGHazard
I heard that parliament may return a day early - Mon 2nd. Of course at the moment there is no Politics Live scheduled for that day.

Although I wonder, could it theotrically start up again tomorrow, or does it have to wait for parliament to return.
WO
Worzel
I wonder when the broadcast platforms will return to College Green?
AJ
AJB39

Yep. I don’t think Laura was due back until next week. This brought an abrupt end to her summer holidays.
Last edited by AJB39 on 28 August 2019 1:58pm

Newer posts